>

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Where's the fire?

There's a song from Hamilton about running out of time. in fact, there's a lot of talk in the musical about Alexander's need to be always moving and working. I know how he felt. There's so much to do and so little time to do it, and maybe it's a little like being a fish, I worry that if I stop swimming I'll sink.

Then, this morning I read a quote from Lauren Graham, she was talking about the Gilmore Girls reunion, but it could apply to lots of things, "It's like getting a chance to go to college when you're really ready, you know, when you really get what an incredible opportunity you have and how rare the time is."

I've had a few people tell me that I might be too old to start a new career. Or that women over 50 just don't get hired. Or that maybe I should think about slowing down.

Seriously, at 48 years old I should slow down? And then what would I do for the next 50+ years that I'm alive? No thanks. I think I will go as fast as I can for as long as I can.

Sometimes though, they get in my head and I start to think maybe they're right. Maybe I am too old, maybe it is too late, maybe life is all about making money and I'm never going to get rich doing what makes me happy...

Just for fun I looked up some ladies who made it big later in life and this morning I am proud to present a list of women who did not slow down or listen to the Debbie Downers in their lives who told them they were too old to get hired/make a change/do anything significant.

1. Lousia May Alcott, first book published when she was 37.

2. Julia Child, enrolled in cooking school when she was 36, wrote her first cookbook when she was 39.

3. Vera Wang, became a fashion designer at 40.

4. Martha Stewart, first book when she was 41.

I could go on, Grandma Moses, Laura Ingals Wilder, but the point is, like the Dixie Chicks, I have always taken the long way around, and things have always been okay, I don't see any reason to mess with something that's been working for me.

1 comment:

lori.huffaker said...

Thanks for that bit of encouragement. If you get worried in the future, ask yourself "Just what makes that little old ant, think he can carry that rubber tree plant?"
You go my little ant friend!! It will all be worth it in the end!!

 
>