>

Friday, June 5, 2015

Does this thing still work?

Hey, look. My blog is still here. Hmm.

It feels like it has been months since I've written anything here....probably because it's literally been MONTHS since I've written anything here.

"I'm just SO busy", feels like my mantra/battlecry lately. Although, in truth, I'm not sure I'm any busier these days than I have ever been, It's just a different kind of busy. But...school is out for the summer, and even though I still don't feel like I'm rolling in free time, I'm going to try to catch up a little.

So, in backwards order, I give you the goings on about town....

On Wednesday, Sylvan and I drove to California to pick up Wesley who has been on a 10 month deployment in the Middle East. This was our first time seeing a ship come in, so we really didn't know what to expect. His carrier is based on Coronado Island, and we were told that we would be able to see it coming in from the beach on base.

 We got there early, and got as close as we could before this sign (and a young sailor with a blowhorn and a gun) kept us from having the perfect view. The Navy apparently has a problem allowing civilians on their firing ranges. Whatever.


 The whole way in there was a group of Navy helicopters flying overhead and as they got closer you could see the sailors, in their whites, "manning the rails". It was quite the sight.

 After they passed the beach they went around the island to their "parking spot", where it literally took an hour for 2 little tug boats to push the carrier to the dock.
 As they were getting into place, the loudspeakers were playing music that has obviously been tested on the mothers of lab rats and been proven to produce tears, even in the most country music hating of all women. I was already a wreck, so that, U.S. Navy, seemed a bit unnecessary.
 FINALLY, they started letting them off the ship. I honestly had no idea that it would take SO long. The parking, the tying off, the cranes putting the ramps and stairs into place. Good golly. Then, because there are so many crew members (around 6000), it took another couple of hours before we were finally able to hug Wes.



It was a long day, but SO worth it.
 There were so many loved ones there to support these men and women, it was amazing. I cried over every reunion(of COURSE I DID), and finally seeing Wesley was the best feeling. It has been hard having him gone for so long, and I as I stood there all day watching these men and women hug their spouses and kids, or see their newborns for the first time EVER....gah. The emotions. 

I'm going to quit now, before I launch into a sappy patriotic love song or some such nonsense. 
Hug a soldier, be kind to others, have a great day.
THE END

1 comment:

lori.huffaker said...

'bout time! It makes me feel like we still see each other all the time when I read your blog, so keep writing. And remind me to tell you about Darin and that warning sign at some point.

 
>