>

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What keeps you up at night?

Our son wants to play football. Inside I'm screaming NOOOO! Outside I'm saying that's a big commitment. My husband thinks it's great. His parents never allowed him to play, he was small and they were afraid he would get hurt. He doesn't want to be the reason our boy never gets to do what he wants to do. He's a little bit of a sucker that way. I'm against it, I think it's dangerous and I hate the way lots of sports people behave. I realize this is a stereotype and I'm making blanket statements and that not all athletes and their parents are crazed fanatics, but some are. Enough are. And I don't like it. Sue me.

We have this cat, she's 19. I'm not even making that up. She's old. She probably lived with the Pharaohs before we got her. For her age she's pretty healthy. She sleeps a lot and she's blind in one eye, other than that no problems...except...she will only pee in the litter box. She does her other business on the bathroom floor. Every morning we wake up to, you know... It's irritating and smelly, but it's not the end of the world. My husband is ready to have her put to sleep. 3 days a week I feel the same for about 10 minutes, then I think, sigh, she's old, but she's not sick, isn't it wrong to kill her because we don't want to clean up after her anymore?

There are these boots that I really want. I've been eyeing them for over a year. They're more expensive than anything I would normally ever consider buying but I LOVE them, they're well made, and a classic style. The only other pair of boots I own I got for 20 bucks 10 years ago at a J.Crew sample sale. They're great and I still wear them, but they're black and the ones I'm coveting are brown, which would come in handy. I can't bring myself hit the buy now button because a.) they are not cheap and b.) I live in Arizona so it's not like I NEED boots. I can afford them in dollars, but I'm not sure I can spare the emotional energy for the guilt of overspending on shoes. (How can Oprah even stand to THINK of buying $40,000 handbags? I hope I'm never that wealthy.)

School started  yesterday and that scares the daylights out of me. Oh my gosh.

I've been watching The West Wing all summer, I'm on season 5 now. I love it but I'm worried that with school starting I won't have any time to watch TV at all and I'll never know, or at least not until the semester ends, how President Bartlett's second term works out.

In addition to not having time to watch TV I'm also worried I'm not going to have time to go to the gym or to write. I know that seems silly, but I've kind of gotten the hang of the running thing (a little bit anyway) and I hate to lose ground I've gained, and writing, either here or in my journal or just long rambling emails, kind of keeps me sane. I'm afraid without those two things I'll get sad and cranky, which, seriously, are two things I absolutely do not have time for.

2 comments:

lori.huffaker said...

Thanks for all that. Now instead of thinking about what keeps me up at night, I can think about what keeps you up at night. It's more interesting.

Michelle Albright-Peters said...

I LOVE West Wing and actually own all the dvds. I haven't watched it in ages and now I want to do a marathon just because. It's the smart/funny combination I think.

 
>