>

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Just like that, I'm a college student

It's official, school is in session, English 101 started on Tuesday and I really ought to be doing homework instead of blogging. But honestly, when do I ever do what I ought to do?

I knew there was going to be essay writing required so I spent the weekend finishing David Sedaris' new book, you know, to get some tips.  I figured it couldn't hurt, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't really look like it's going to help either. The list of essay types on the syllabus does not include sarcastic reflections. Go figure.

As I was getting ready for class I really felt sick. You know how I get.  I was so nervous that I'd almost convinced myself to take the low road and stay stupid for the rest of my life. Who needs knowledge if you're going to have to venture out of your comfort zone to get it, right?  Exactimundo buddy! Lucky for me when I decided to go back to school somehow I convinced my good friend Lori to go with me, one of the best things I ever did, for several reasons, not the least of which is that I knew I couldn't stay home because she was waiting for me to pick her up which meant, A. I didn't have to go alone and B. someone to share flash drives with. (JUST KIDDING ENGLISH TEACHER!!! We would NEVER EVER do something like that!! Ever!)

I don't want to say too much about my classmates, after the Jury Duty Fiasco of 2011, I would hate to get kicked out of school so soon. Besides, it was only the first night, I bet those guys will all turn out to be perfectly loverly and normal. I will, however mention this....... The youth of today is about a million times more confident than I have ever been in my life, with seemingly less reason than you could possibly imagine. On the way home from class I told Lori that the only explanation I can think of is the practice of "Trophies All Around!!" Yep, you spend 18 years telling kids they're amazing when really they're just average, and you're gonna end up with a whole lot of overly confident young adults. Young adults who plan on ruling the world just as soon as they master the art to the compare and contrast essay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anyway, now I have to write 20 paragraphs about myself and naturally I cannot think of one interesting story. I, sadly, am not part of the "everyone's a winner" generation. I feel quite cheated.

2 comments:

Cheryle said...

I well remember my sister telling her daughter (who had just failed a math test after saying that she was *certain* she had aced it) that she didn't need more self-esteem; what she needed was to study math!

You make me laugh. I've been away from your blog for too long. :)

lori.huffaker said...

I feel like a semi celebrity seeing my name in print in the blog. I believe I can be a talent scout inthe music industry now. Thanks for the boost!

 
>