>

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

If you can't say something nice.......



Listen, I don't want you to feel bad or anything, but I need to get something off my chest.

The other day when we were talking about my plans to go back to school, and you asked me what kind of degree I was considering and I told you social work and then you said ~ there's no money in that / your friend was a social worker for a while but he really hated it and now he's a bartender and he LOVES it / I think it would be so depressing being a social worker / don't you think you're a little old to be getting started in a career like that?~ I really wanted to punch you and then go have a good cry, but I didn't. You're lucky, I've been working on my arms at the gym so it probably would have hurt if I had punched you.

Look, I don't expect anyone to be my cheerleader and I don't expect people to lie and tell me something is so wonderful when they might not think it is, but I DO expect people to use common sense and decent manners when they're in public. If we were close friends and I asked for your honest input and you really felt like I was making a huge mistake because I'm too old to go to school for such a depressing unprofitable job, certainly I would expect you to tell me that. Then I would expect you to understand if I never had time to go to lunch with you again.

Just kidding!

Do you really think I don't know it's going to be hard and that I am old? Those things scare the crap out of me, but if you know me at all you know that I don't have the common sense to back away from difficult things and money is not really a motivator for me. Although I may appear outwardly shallow, inside of me lives an idealistic flower child who wears beads and braids and believes that as a human being I have an obligation to do all I can to help my fellow man. I'm more afraid of getting to the end of my life and knowing that I could have done more than I am of having my self esteem beat down further by going to college with a bunch of young smart kids and getting a job that doesn't make any money.

PS~Most people have been very kind and enthusiastic when I tell them about my mid-life crisis, which I greatly appreciate. And if you are in my carpool this post is not directed at you, contrary to appearances, I CAN take a joke. The people this post is intended for probably do not read this blog. 

And that's fine with me.

2 comments:

lori.huffaker said...

Understand. 100%. I have decided to stop telling people. They are all such Negitive Nancys. I can either do a job I hate for crappy money, or one that will make me happy for crappy money. I choose happy! Glad to have you to do it with!!

wesley's mom (sue) said...

Exactly! Who needs those guys anyway? Buncha glass half empty-ers.

 
>