>

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Then we went to town and I took a couple (hundred) pictures.

After we left Wesley at the airport and I recovered from my breakdown, we (I) put on another pair of long underwear and headed back downtown to do some sightseeing. 

This time we were smart and took public transportation. Word to the wise, when you go to Chicago, take advantage of the public transportation. 

There was a station close to our hotel so we parked there and rode the cute two story train, it took us almost all the way to Millennium Park. It was much better than driving and dealing with the traffic and the parking situation. 

{turns out that when you're wearing 2 pairs of gloves sometimes they make their way into your pictures~weird}
I was so obnoxious with the picture taking. I probably stopped every 5 feet to get another shot of.....everything. We only had about 8 hours to fit in as much Chicago as possible, so we tried not to be unrealistic about how much we could see. This might come as a surprise to you, but being realistic about my limits is not one of my strong points. Everyone else was all, "As long as I get some pizza and another one of those hot dogs I don't care what we do."  While I was all, "MUST. DO. EVERYTHING." I stopped short of putting a schedule on paper, but it just about killed me. There were so many things I wanted to do, compared with Sylvan, who just had so many things he wanted to eat. Yin and Yang, that's us.
There were signs all over warning of falling ice. I wasn't sure if they were talking about icicles or chunks of ice falling out of the sky or crazy urban pranksters tossing ice out of the windows 30 stories up. Luckily, I didn't really need to worry about it, I was wearing so many layers it would have taken a pretty large piece of frozen matter for me to have even noticed.
I forgot all about falling ice and my frozen toes when I saw this.......
Go on, click on the picture so you can see it close up.
Fanciest Target EVER. Right?
This is the entry-
Could you die? 
The Chicago-ites coming into Target to buy deodorant and cat litter totally gave me the stink eye when I waved them to the side so I could get a good picture of the lobby. That's what happens when people have too much good stuff, they take it for granted. City people. Sheesh.

Then, as if fancy pants Target wasn't enough, this place was right across the street! 
The only food establishment on my must see list. 
I got the caramel with almonds, you should too, unless you don't like nuts, in which case you are nuts, cause who doesn't like nuts? 
Look!! More very very tall buildings!!


 Deep dish pizza. Natch.
It was ok. I'm not a huge fan of the sauce on top, but there were like 10 TV's showing different basketball games in the restaurant so I made the best of it.
(Dear Syracuse, Sorry for your loss. I hate to admit it, but Louisville is having a good year. It goes that way sometimes.)
We had just finished eating when tragedy (and I use the term very loosely) stroke (struck? striked? rained down upon us?~ something NOT good had happned, ok?). Sylvan reached into his wallet and his bank card was missing. 
CRAP! 
Here's the thing, I LOVE Sylvan, love love love him, but he loses stuff. Or maybe I should say, he misplaces stuff. Often. I probably would've been more concerned about the bank card if his entire wallet had been missing, but it was wasn't, nor was any of his cash or the other two bank cards he carries around, the only thing missing was card we were planning to use to pay for the trip. OF COURSE! I was pretty positive we'd find it in some logical spot, like the nightstand in our hotel room, so I paid for lunch with another card while Sylvan tried not get all freaked out.

That did not work. He got a tinsy bit freaked out, and by the time we got to Cloud Gate (half a block away) he was having serious visions of some maniac spending up all of our money. (Which would not have taken very long, I feel sorry for the maniac who steals our bank card and thinks he's gonna have a night on the town. Sucker.)
This is me being all touristy while Sylvan calls the bank to cancel his card. 
I was not about to let a little thing like a little thievery ruin my day, especially when I was pretty sure no theft had actually taken place, also we were on a tight schedule, and I'd taken a pill before we left the hotel. 


Eventually we made it to the Art Institute of Chicago, where I made everyone suffer by forcing them to look at art for 3 hours in retaliation for taking me to cheese castles and restaurants with nothing but hot dogs and sausages on the menu.
It was awesome.






Why yes, that is a string of Christmas lights and a pile of candy. 
Art. It's subjective. 
What'er ya gonna do?


Sylvan isn't still sad about his bank card here, he just doesn't like being in pictures.
After the museum we walked a mile and a half to the giant American Girl Doll store, where doll clothes cost more than people clothes. It was pretty huge and impressive, for a doll store. Ivy would have been in heaven!
Then we walked more miles back to the train station where we ended up missing our train because we read the schedule wrong so we had to wait for an hour and a half for the next train, just us and the homeless guys. Not creepy AT ALL!

So, that's it. We went on a trip, it was pretty fun. 
THE END.

One last thing~ I really want to thank everyone who lent me warm clothes, gave me travel advice, slipped me drugs, and helped with our kids while we were gone (especially the saint who came and got Ivy when she started sobbing 30 minutes after we left our house, because, "She juuuust miiiissed us sooooo much, hic, sob, alreadyyyyy!" (like mother like daughter, eh?). I have the best friends EVAH! Thanks guys!!

1 comment:

SymbioticLife said...

I hope you guys found the card eventually, even if he cancelled it with the bank. You've got some serious mad tourist skills. You kept your focus with the camera snapping. And holy cow! That Target!! I would only shop at Target if that's what they all looked like. Lovin' the art too. That's some good stuff.

 
>