>

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Well, now I've gone and done it.

This morning I joined Facebook*.

After years of swearing I would never ever ever do it, and after YEARS of family and friends trying to get me to join, and mocking me when I wouldn't, I broke down this morning and sold my soul to Mark Zuckerberg. I hope he's happy. I feel kind of icky now. I'm not sure what my deal is. It's obviously not a privacy thing. I offer you my blog, twitter, and instagram accounts as evidence. I think it's more of a "bandwagon" thing. I hate hate hate to do what everyone else it doing. I offer you my resistance to watch Downton Abbey and wear skinny jeans as evidence.....wait a minute.....

Whatever. You all know I'm nuts, just add "Never accepted Facebook into her heart" as more proof.

Like many of the other defining moments of my life, I owe this sell out to one of my children. They've given me gray hair, laugh lines (and frown lines), sleepless nights, and almost driven me to drink on many occasions. Now this, the ultimate caving in, Facebook.

Last night I found out that there is a Facebook group (? Page? Thingamajiggy?) where the Navy sometimes posts pictures of recruits, but if you're on Facebook you know that you have to have a Facebook account to see those pictures. Such a mean trick. I wavered. Back and forth, should I? Shouldn't I? In the end I couldn't come up with a good reason not to, so I did it. The chances were slim that there would even be any pictures that included our son, but there was a chance, and it turned out, I did get to see him. The pictures aren't great, just a bunch of guys marching, but it was so good to see his face. (His very serious and very cold looking face.) It made me happier than you can imagine.

There's also a Facebook group for family members of the recruits in our son's group (ship/div). How could I live with myself if I let my silly blood oath to never join Facebook keep me from possibly getting the skinny? I couldn't. So there. I'm on.

*Technically, according to Facebook's records I joined in 2008. I have no memory of this, I must have created an acct then then come to my senses and tried to back out because there's no activity between then and now. It does seem to confirm my suspicions, that once they get you they never let you go. Damn you Zuckerberg!

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Oh man. I so understand. I have a love/hate relationship with FB. It is the easiest way to be in quick contact with my family as a whole group without me having to call them all on the phone, so I keep mine. Because I hate talking on the phone even more than I hate FB. Plus we started a FB page for our Stake Youth and it is easy for me to post reminders about dances and that sort of thing. There are enough positives to at least counterbalance the negatives.

PS - I'm so glad you got to see a picture of your boy to know that he is there and living! :)

 
>