>

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Willpower Instinct

The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal is fascinating.  Seriously. I'm not much of a self-help book girl. I used to be, but at some point I realized they weren't really helping me as much as they were making me feel like I was failing at life, so I stopped, I have enough things to feel guilty about, I never would have read this book if it hadn't been part of the Blogher review program but I'm so glad I did.

Remember when I said there were a few things I wanted to do more/less of this year? Well, this book might be just the ticket to making some real changes in my routine. It's good.....and also timely (as in, if you're gearing up to hunker down on that long list of resolutions this book might be for you).

Dr. McGonigal (not to be confused with Professor McGonigal, except now that I think about it, she does teach university courses, so what I should say is, not to be confused with THAT Professor McGonigal.) includes studies to try to help you understand why we do the things we do and techniques that can help you train your mind and become more in control of, well, pretty much anything you want. It's intended to be read and implemented over a ten week period, I read it in about 2 weeks so I could write this review, but I plan to start over and take it slow to see if I can form some new habits (or get rid of some old ones). I'll let you know how it goes. Or maybe you'll just be able to tell how it goes because I'll be able to use restraint and not ramble on and on about nothing someday soon. Or not, since that's not really on my list of things to stop doing.......even though it probably should be.

*This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

 
>