>

Monday, December 31, 2012

And so it has been confirmed (again) that I do not have a heart.

Friday night we went to see Les Miserables. I was super duper excited. Everyone I know who has seen it has loved it, several have reported crying from beginning to end. I even packed extra tissue. If anyone is going to cry at a movie (or during the Olympics, or at the grocery store, or....)it's going to be me. Good grief, I cried at Skyfall.

It turned out I was not moved to tears. Not even once. Not when the priest was so kind to Jean Valjean, not when he threw his papers to the wind, not when little Gavroche was killed, Anne Hathway almost had me towards the end of I Dreamed a Dream, but that's as close as I came. I don't know what's wrong with me. I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for months. I didn't hate it, I was even pretty impressed with Russel Crowe, I had no idea he could sing at all, and Hugh Jackman, well, I went to see that boxing robot movie on his behalf, so I guess you could call me a fan. This just felt, to me, like there wasn't much depth to it. Of course that could just be me trying to justify my way out of being a heartless depthless person myself.

Have you seen it? Did you love it? Do you have a heart and emotional depth, did you cry or did you sit there for 3 hours thinking that in a couple of weeks you would be seeing Zero Dark Thirty and all would be right in the cinema again?

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I haven't seen the new one yet. I saw the old version and it made me cry. My daughter and niece went to see it and she said they cried.

I went with my sister to go see Parental Guidance and it made me cry once. I cry at everything too. I just want to go watch the Hobbit and then I'll be happy.

I love going to the movies!

SymbioticLife said...

Oh my. I've been avoiding reading any write ups on the movie. When I first saw the trailer for it, I was so excited. I've been waiting for this for ages. I'm a tiny bit terrified that if I read any reviews that my expectations would get too warped, I'd go see it, and I'd find myself let down. I'm one of the biggest cry babies on the planet. I'll have to go, armed to the teeth with tissues obviously, and see how it affects me. On a bright note, at least your make up got to stay in tact?

 
>