>

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Trust Your Eyes

I know, I haven't blogged in TWO WEEKS!! What gives? How are you people surviving without fascinating tales of me being humiliated at the donut store? Would it help if I told you I've been sick? Because I have. I've been stricken with, what I'm calling, The Cold from HELL. It's been with me for over a week with no signs of letting up. The novelty is long gone. I even went to the doctor, which I never do. Desperate times yo. Someday, when I can take a deep breath again without starting up a coughing fit, maybe I'll tell you all about it.

In the meantime, I read a book. Trust Your Eyes, by Linwood Barclay.*

I liked it. Yep. It's not the kind of thing I normally read (Do I always say that when I'm writing a review? If so, what pray tell, do I normally read? Ugh. I'm a hack.) anyway, I didn't expect to like it because so many of these types of books (mystery/crime/suspense) are formulaic and they drive me nuts. In all fairness, it could just be a case of me not having read anything from this genre in so long that it all seemed fresh, but I don't think so.

After Ray's father dies in a lawn mowing accident, he comes back to town to wrap things up and figure out what to do with his grown brother who has mental issues. Before he knows it he's caught up in a murder mystery (of course). There were several twists, some I saw coming, others, not so much. Ray's brother Thomas, who is obsessed with a website similar to whatever that Google thing is that lets you see a street view of everything, sees what he thinks is a crime being committed. To placate Thomas, Ray agrees to look into it, the story takes off from there (of course). There are quite a few characters and story lines, but I never felt like it was more than I could keep up with, even in my weakened, heavily medicated state. At times things were a little far fetched, but that's how these kind of books roll, right?

Bottom line, if you like mystery/crime/suspense novels you might want to give this a go.

*This post is part of a paid review program sponsored by the Blogher Book Club. The words and opinions are my own.

1 comment:

tarable said...

This is my genre, so maybe I'll try it.

Sorry about your weakened state - bless your heart!

 
>