>

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Book of Jonas


The Book of Jonas  by Stephen Dau is the story of Younis/Jonas and Christoper. Jonas is given the choice to go live in the United States after his family is killed when their village, in an unnamed Middle Eastern country, is attacked by American forces. Christopher is an American soldier involved in the attack, who helps Jonas in the days immediately following.  

With my current state of mind over the state of the world being what it is, I put off reading it for as long as I possibly could but I had agreed to write a review so I finally jumped in on Sunday. I really liked it. And I didn't even cry, so maybe I'm bouncing back, eh?

War is never a simple one or two sided thing, it's effects far reaching and long lasting. I think the author has done a great job showing that this is true no matter which side you're on. 

The story follows Jonas as he tries to make a life in America as part of a new family and then when he goes to college. There are flashbacks to his life before the attack and to pages from Christopher's diary. Christopher is listed as missing in action by the military, and although Jonas credits him with saving his life, he's hesitant to share his memories of what really happened during the time they spent together. When he meets Christopher's mother, who has been waiting and hoping for news of her son for years, Jonas starts to crack. 

One of the final entries from Christopher's journal reads~
 "I am here by choice. I am ready to accept the consequences of my actions. As I look back, I can plainly see that every choice I have ever made, every action, big or small, was like a single brick in the road leading me here. I will accept responsibility."

I've often thought that about my own life, that one thing done differently could have changed the entire direction of things. 

I feel like I'm babbling on and on. I liked this book. You should read it. There.



~This is a paid review for Blogher Book Club, but the opinions are my own.

No comments:

 
>