>

Thursday, December 22, 2011

I am that girl

People of the world, I am that girl who seems to, with little or no effort at all, find herself in one sort or predicament or another ALL THE TIME. I can not even do a simple thing, like my civic duty, without making a mess of things.

You are not going to believe it when I tell you how my time at jury duty turned out. Or maybe you know me better than I know myself and you will not even be the slightest bit surprised.

As I mentioned last week, jury duty was really really dragging on for what seemed to be a cruel and unusual amount of time. Time which I believe is undoubtedly directly related to lawyers being paid by the hour. It's the only  logical explanation for what took place in that courtroom. Items that could have been explained in minutes took hours, and things that could have taken hours took days. By day 6 I was cracking up just a little bit.

You try sitting silently day after day listening to people spout facts that seem to have nothing to do with the bottom line, while in the back of your mind all you can think of is how far behind you're getting at work, or that you're missing your daughter's band performance, or that you forgot to tell your carpool mate that you couldn't pick up kids this afternoon. I'm not gonna lie. I was getting irritated. However, I was prepared to do what I had to do.

Jury of your peers and all that crap.

On what was to be day the SEVENTH day, I, juror #6, was asked to enter the courtroom without the rest of the jury. I was sure the judge was going to tell me that I am not as discrete as I think I am and I needed to stop making annoyed faces when the lawyers were talking.

Instead this happened~

Judge: Good morning juror #6. Are you Ms. Lunt?

Me: Yes

Judge: Ms Lunt, it has come to the court's attention that you have a blog where you have blogged about jury duty, is that correct?

Me (DYING & and also fearing certain incarceration): yes

Judge: I'm afraid that is against the rules and I am going to have to excuse you, however your blog is extremely entertaining and I cannot for the life of me imagine why you are not rich and famous.*

Me:ok

And thus, in a most humiliating fashion, ended my career as a hander down of justice.

Let that be a lesson to you...or to me.....or to somebody.

*The judge (who by the way was a very nice man), did not really say that stuff about me being rich and famous or my blog being entertaining, but I could tell he wanted to.

1 comment:

tarable said...

I'm dying over here. Ah, the difficulties of getting good jurors these days...

Too bad all your time was wasted, but at least you can get back into the Christmas spirit now, right?

 
>