>

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A moment of silence please


Yesterday afternoon tragedy struck. I hope you're sitting down. My computer died. It wasn't even that sick. One minute it's working, the next minute there's this weird clicking noise, (that I ignored for about 3 hours--how was I supposed to know?!), then nothing. NOTHING! A black screen. I tried restarting it and kept getting some stupid "No driver found" message.

Ugh!

My husband called a friend who makes computers for a living and when we described the events of the afternoon she said something along the lines of "Oh, that's bad. It sounds like your hard drive may have crashed."  I was sure that was just computer fixer gal lingo for "It's gonna cost you a "butt ton" to get this fixed." (a butt ton is what my kids always say when they mean a whole lot. I have yet to verify it's actual dimensions, but apparently it's massive, and is frequently the amount of chores and homework they have). Turns out that what it really means is "I'm so sorry for your loss, but it is very unlikely that I can save the FOUR YEARS worth of pictures, so hopefully you backed them up on an external hard drive you moron. What?! You don't have an external hard drive for your pictures? Are you kidding me? Who leaves FOUR YEARS worth of pictures on something so unreliable as a computer?"

I feel like my house just burned down and I wasn't able to grab the photo albums.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I just finished my moment of silence ... now on to the apologies. I'm so sorry. SO SORRY. That seriously sucks. That's all I have.

Brittany said...

We have a computer chock full of pictures that's been sitting in our garage for two years now. I have begged my husband many times to take it somewhere to see if anything can be saved, but it still hasn't happened. I would probably beg more if I weren't so afraid to hear the truth.
So, what I'm trying to say is, I feel ya sista.
Also, have you downloaded anything to photo sites like shutterfly? I found a bunch of mine on there that I had forgotten about, which brought me a modicum of relief.

Ginger said...

OH! That's bad, baD, bAD, BAD!!!!! I'm so sorry! Seriously, my WORST nightmare! :(

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you lost a butt ton of history.

Todd said...

But ask yourself, were those last four years that good anyway? Easy come easy go, right?

 
>