>

Friday, October 21, 2011

Pine Nut, Pistachio Nut, Red Pistachio Nut...

Whew! It's been a long week,eh?

This was parent teacher conference week. At our daughter's school the 6th grade rotates through 4 classrooms and  4 teachers everyday, so, instead of having 4 conferences, they do an "open house" style conference. A style, I learned this week, that is the least effective way to find out how your child is really doing at school. Since there are no appointments you just kind of hang around while the teacher talks to the parents who got there before you. Depending on how busy things are, if you want to talk to the teacher, you might have to be a little pushy. There didn't seem to be any of that first come first served business going on, it was all about eye contact and lurking in an eavesdroppy way so you make the parents she's currently talking to uncomfortable enough to wrap up their conversations. It was a little nuts. I decided I didn't care that much. If there's something pressing they can write me a note. I looked around at the junk writing assignments on the walls and headed out to meet with the band teacher because, guess what? He made appointments! I've gotta tell ya, it's feast or famine over there. While the classroom teachers were the pinnacle of laidbackedness, the band teacher was over the top serious. When I sat down he handed me a copy of a paper that I'd signed at the beginning of the year, you know, one of those, um, I will make my child practice, I will be on time to concerts, I will blah, blah, blah. Class rules and all that stuff. I thought he was like reminding me because I was in trouble or something, but he says, "This is for you. A copy for your records." For real? I don't know what kind of record keeper this guy takes me for, but I've got too many kids with too many teachers, all of whom want me and my kid to sign some kind of oath at the start of the school year. Please! I keep my copies of those documents in a special place, called the recycling bin. Because I care about rules and the environment.

Do you watch Parenthood? If the answer is yes, thanks for telling me that new season started like 5 weeks ago! Not that I would have had time to watch TV, but still, you could have told me. I've been catching up by watching a couple of episodes a night this week. I don't know why I love it so much, probably because I'm such a sucker for Craig T. Nelson. JUST KIDDING!! Every week it makes me laugh and cry, plus, great soundtrack. Bonus!!

We got a puppy. I don't yet know if this will be good news or bad, but she's cute, you know, like puppies can be when they feel like it. We thought with Halloween and ghost season upon us it was a good time to get a dog. Better safe than sorry I always say.

Speaking of dogs, you know what's funny? This~



And this~


And also, this is the funniest thing I've read all week, possibly all month. (*Bad word warning, but soo funny....in an eww kind of way.....oh never mind. Look away.)


3 comments:

Sandy said...

Recycling helps the earth because it could save animals, it could save birds, puppies and all kinds of them. A lot of the animals that recycling helps to save are the ocean animals. There are a lot of animals in the ocean that mistake trash for food. They're eating things that we could be recycling. Check out this video: http://youtu.be/-H51E2gwXwc

Brittany said...

love, LOVE Best in Show. And the environment and The Smoking Gun and your blog. But not so much puppies

lori.huffaker said...

Eeewwww is right. But I appreciate the writers use of his Thesuarus. I would have to agree that what they were doing could be considered a tryst or a clinch. Also, thank you for saving the environment for Sandy and Brittany and the fishes.

 
>