>

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Never a dull moment

As you know my mother was in town for my son’s wedding, and proving that the goofball (me) doesn’t fall far from the tree (her) there have been many, many things that I have wanted to tell you about her visit but I have used my other super power-restraint-and kept my story telling to a respectful minimum. (For those of you who are on my speed-dial and now know things about my mom that might keep you from making eye contact if you were to come upon her in public, I don’t know what to say, being my friend/brother/sister-in-law is both a blessing an a curse. I’m sure you’ll find a way to move on.)

However, I can’t be expected to hold everything back.

My mom has a dog. Spooky, er, I mean, Sophie. Sophie is a dust mop, er, I mean, shitzhu. My mom also has a boyfriend, who is a widower and a dog sitter. Talk about convenient! While my mom was here, Sophie was back home staying at the boyfriend’s house. Bless his heart.

My mother is not unlike a teenage girl with a beau. She talks on the phone several times a day with her boyfriend and is also quite handy with the text message when it’s called for, which it seems to be quite often. But that’s a whole 'nother story.

A few days ago, after her early morning love chat, she came into my office and wanted to tell me what had happened with little Sophie the night before, and because I cannot resist a cute dog story, I gave her my full attention, I know you would have too.

“This morning Jim asked me if Sophie had ever seen a ghost before, and I told him yes, she had. We used to live in a house that was haunted. I even saw the ghost a few times. Don’t laugh, they’re real!” 

I can’t even tell you what a comfort it is to me to know that my mother has finally found her soul mate. When you find yourself not the least bit surprised to be having a conversation about your ghost busting dog with your new boyfriend you are a match. Made. In. Heaven. Seriously.

Turns out brave little Sophie had been barking at what, to the naked eye, looked like, um, nothing. All night. Those in the know, know that dogs who bark at nothing are a sure sign of paranormal activity. Who knew?

That’s right, when your dog does that thing where he just stands around barking at imaginary stuff he is not just trying to drive you nuts or make you wish you were a cat person. No, most likely your pup is in the presence of a ghost. BOO! But don’t worry!!! My mom told Jim (and me), it was likely just his dead wife and she won’t hurt him, or Sophie. Ghosts don’t want to hurt us. (Are you as relieved as I was to hear that?)

If you guys had any idea how hard it was for me to listen to this story with only a minimal amount of mockery you would be so proud of me right now. I RESISTED, I only made a few cracks, most of them went unnoticed due to the intensity of the moment.

I feel certain now that even though my mom has made it clear she doesn’t want a serious relationship at this time, this incident with the poltergeist has brought these love birds closer together and created a bond that will last at least through Valentines Day.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I knew there was a reason at 2:45 a.m. that I was prompted to come sit down and read your blog. My dogs have been barking! I've looked long and hard trying to reveal the source of their (and my) sleepless night ... and now I know. Of course it must be ghosts ... of course! It's October don't ya know. I'm sure they're in abundance this month. Now I'll be able to sleep.

Bless your mother's heart.

 
>