>

Monday, May 23, 2011

Next thing you know they'll want me to applaud when they take out garbage.

I can't believe I showed you guys that prom picture and the rapture was postponed. I sure did not see that coming.

Can we chat about graduation for a moment? Not the high school graduation that my son (fingers crossed) will participate in on Thursday, or college graduations, I'm all for recognitions of those accomplishments. I'm talking about all of the "other" graduations. Preschool, Kindergarten, 6th grade, Jr. High, Traffic School (kidding, I think)........

Holy Cow! How many times must a person graduate? And why? Is this one of those self-esteem things? ('Cause those really bug me....down with self-esteem!! I'm kidding. Kind of.) Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit much? Every time one of our kids has "graduated" from elementary school I've been struck by the big deal people make of it. Flowers, balloons, mom's in mini-skirts. Seriously!? I don't want my kids to think finishing elementary school is overly impressive. As far as I'm concerned you don't get a party for doing what you're supposed to do. If that were the case some should be throwing me a party 2 or 3 times a week.

Don't get me wrong, when my precious child graduates from 6th grade this week I will be there to take his picture, but I am NOT buying him a car.

2 comments:

Radel said...

Oh my gosh!! I totally agree!! I just got back from my daughters elementary school grad celebration assembly party blah blah blah!! Why is it such a big deal?? I don't get it either, but I was for sure there taking pics!! :)

Alyson (New England Living) said...

I'm with you! And, while we're at it, can we get rid of all the end-of-the-year concerts? I can assure you my 11 year old son has no desire to sing to room full of bored parents and bored parents have desire to sit there and watch their 11 years sing!

 
>