>

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Because my opinion is priceless

I thought you'd like to know, I read The Hunger Games this week. Yes, I know I’m the last person in the universe to do so. I wasn’t planning to read it at all, in fact I had quite decided not to read it. EVER. (I have this weird aversion to anything that everyone else is doing. As soon as a thing becomes all the rage, I’m out. It’s not logical I know, but what are you gonna do?) Anyway, it was the book for my book group this month so I decided to give it a whirl.

I’m generous that way.

I don’t think there’s any danger of me ruining the story for anyone, what with me being the last person on the planet to finally read it and all. Here’s what I thought……It was ok. I guess. You know what though, I had a really hard time getting past the whole kids brutally killing each other in an arena thing.

I’m soft that way.

(I’m waiting for the president of the We heart Hunger Games fan club on Goodreads to hunt me down and revoke my book rating privileges, “What? Only 2 stars? For this masterpiece?”)

Also I didn’t feel like it was “meaty” enough. I know it’s a young adult book (another reason I wasn’t feeling the whole “coliseum" thing) but I think that if I were going to root for Katniss and Peeta I needed to know them better. ~ Also, I kept alternating between hearing Petah, you know, with an English accent, in my head, or thinking of Peter Hatcher (brother to Farley Drexel Hatcher aka Fudge) it was distracting. (Who can figure out how my mind works? Not me, that’s for sure.) Anyway, Peeta bugged me a little bit. I’m sure a good girl is hard to find out there in District 12, especially one who hunts and gathers, but I thought he came off a little pouty. And, while Katniss is no Bella Swan (praise be! cause one Bella is one too many), I felt like there wasn’t really much depth to her either. The only one I wanted to know more about was Gale. Sadly that will not be happening, if I learned anything from those stupid Dragon Tattoo books, besides the fact that Swedish people drink a lot of coffee, it's quit while you’re ahead. Thank you very much.

I’m a quick learner that way.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I haven't read them yet either but my husband bought all three last week. He is done with number two but number three is on loan to a variety of our daughter's teenage friends so who knows when it will be back in the house. Personally, I'm afraid of the committment.

Ginger said...

I stumbled upon your blog through Mormon Mommy Blogs and have to tell you I think you are hilarious! I just had to post a comment and tell you that you are NOT the last person on the planet to hear of this book(s?). I just heard about it last week when one of my now grown young women asked me if I had read it yet. I told her I hadn't ever heard of it.

I'm with you on not following the crowd. I really hate crowds anyway! :) I only read Twilight #4 because I was told I needed to proofread it before I let my then 14 year old daughter read it. I never did read #'s 1, 2, or 3.

 
>