>

Friday, July 2, 2010

Who knew?

So, there's this Russian guy who figured out the solution to some smancy math problem and the Math People tried to give him a million dollars as a reward for all his hard work but he turned them down because he's not interested in fame. Really, I'm not making this up.

What I want to know is, how do they (The Math People) even know there's an unsolvable equation in the the first place? Seriously, where do these unsolved problems come from? And also, are there math groupies? Is there a lot of paparazzi pressure from the Math tabloids? And finally, the article claims that Mr. Perelman (I almost hesitate to mention his name for fear of mathies clogging up my blog) is the World's Cleverest Man. WHAT?! How did I not know there was an official recognition of the world's cleverest people? I mean, I might not be the cleverest right now, but who knows? It's absolutely something to shoot for. And if it turns out there's a prize for being the most clever you can bet I won't be turning it down.  I am totally interested in fame.

6 comments:

Keenie Beanie said...

Screw being interested in fame, but who's not interested in being handed millions of dollars? I think I could just tolerate having a few math groupies invading my precious privacy if I never had to work a real job again!

Saimi said...

Math people think on a whole different level, obviously. But what I'm trying to say is I have a son who is brilliant when it comes to math and logical thinking.

He gets so caught up in 'thinking' that even the simplest things become over thought.

They need a challenge to keep their minds interested so I guess comeing up with an unsolvable problem is a way to keep them going, gives them a purpose and a reason to 'think'

Crazy I know!

Charlotte said...

As a former physics major, I remember hearing about unsolvable math problems. Or maybe I'm remembering the plot to Goodwill Hunting.

Anyway, there is nothing better than solving a difficult math problem, it is exhilarating. Like solving a difficult puzzle. If I solved an unsolvable one, though, I would totally take the money and fame.

Unfortunately there is no fame for Sudoku puzzles, which are the limit of my solving abilities nowadays.

AuBien said...

I think you are in the top five of most clever people...but I'm only one vote.

I would think taking the money would allow for more free time to come up with more unsolvable math problems.

Or maybe it is just his clever way of trying to gain fame by trying not to gain fame.

Stef said...

Haha. I wonder if the math people are just trying to take over the world...because I hate math and so if they came up with an unsolvable problem, I would just believe them. They live in a world with unreal numbers ...that is a totally different dimension.
Visiting from MMB

cindy said...

Well, I think I could just tolerate having a few math groupies invading my precious privacy if I never had to work a real job again! Anyways, Nice sharing.

 
>