>

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Like a freakin' box of chocolates

Last night, as part of my continuing effort to waste time in the most wastefully asinine ways possible, I simultaneously watched several episodes of Psych while browsing the internet for useless information that could be stored in the far corners of my mind and drawn upon at a future date when I need to win a rousing round of current events Trivial Pursuit. I know, you admire my resolve and and wish you could be as proficient a time waster as I....I am....me. Whatever.  Dream on.

Like I was saying, internet browsing...... I came across this site, wherein you copy and paste a sample of something you've written and through the magic of internetical technology your writing will be analyzed and matched up with the "real" writer your writing resembles.  Make sense?

I decided not to use any of the text from the novel I'm writing (mostly because I haven't started writing it yet), instead I used a recent blog post. I'm sure you can imagine my surprise when I was told that I write like Stephen King.  Really? Richard Bachman maybe, but Stephen King.  I don't think so.


I write like
Stephen King
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!
I thought I should try again with a different post. This time I was informed that I write like Mark Twain. Awesome. But in all fairness to Mr. Clemens, not likely.

I write like
Mark Twain
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!
Giving it another go, I picked a more self depreciating post, hoping for David Sedaris, and was shocked to be matched up with Dan Brown. Seriously?! Dan The DiVinci Code Brown? I'm not even sure how I feel about that one.(Actually, I'm quite sure how I feel about it, but since I'm doubting the accuracy of this fortune telling mumbo jumbo I've decided not to let it get me down.)

I write like
Dan Brown
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!
I had to give it one more chance before moving along to other more serious time squandering activities. Success!! This time I was paired with Salinger. Though I have a feeling it has less to do with my writing style and more to do with my reclusive nature.

I write like
J. D. Salinger
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

If nothing else I have to say, the Analyze Your Writing slot machine has alluded to the fact that I am a very versatile writer with a wide range of "styles" that are sure to keep the reader guessing, and that, my friends, is going to look awesome when I use it as a blurb on the book jacket of my future horrifying, satirical, suspense filled, angst ridden novel. 

It's gonna be a classic, if I were you, I would pre-order now.

2 comments:

Alexis said...

At least I have heard of these people...I got David Foster Wallace, whom I have never even heard of...which maybe that is where our resemblance lies?

lori.huffaker said...

Really funny... I'm not even gonna try...is Ann Landers considered a author? If only it could test the thoughts in my head that I am unable to translate into words...amazing.

 
>