>

Friday, July 23, 2010

The 60's are starting to totally wig me out.

Can we talk about Mad Men for a minute? Ok, maybe more than a minute. I know you all love it, because, hello?, what's not to love, right? (Besides Peggy's bangs, man I hope they're letting her have a new hair-do this season. Poor girl.)

Anyway.

Everywhere I turn it's Mad Men mania. Here, there, all over the place.  I'll admit, I'm a big sucker for it, but I'm starting to get a little worried about over exposure. Remember what happened when Martha Stewart was in all the places all the times? Pretty soon we all realized that her standards couldn't be too high if she was hawking her sheets at K-mart and from there it was just a short hop to crocheting ponchos in a low security women's facility, and seriously, Martha never really got her groove back after that. I know it's a leap, but I'm kind of afraid that's going to happen to Don Draper. And lets be honest, I'm not really sure how much exposure January Jones can stand. What if they get spread too thin? What if the charm wears off? What if......

Aren't you so glad you have me to bring attention to great global crisises such as this? (holy moly~is that how you spell it when you have more than one crisis?)

Which brings me to my next Mad Men problem-- cable. More specifically, my lack of it. Up to now I've done all of my Mad Med viewing through the magic of Netflix, which is a truly magical way to watch TV. No waiting a week for the next episode, no staying up until 10 pm to see your shows (sidenote~for reals AMC, what's up with the 10 pm time slot? I'm no spring chicken, I'm not really at my best after 9:30, just something to think about), no commercials.....Blah, blah, blah, the important thing is, this Sunday evening a new season of the wildly over promoted Mad Men will premier at 10:00 pm on basic cable and woe is me. In the olden days I would've given a friend a blank VHS tape and asked them to record my show with their VCR (youngsters~ A VHS tape is the stone age version of a DVD and also the winner of the great VHS/BETAMax battle of the late 70's which was much like the DVD\Blue Ray battle you are living through in this day, and a VCRs were these nifty machines that recorded the things you saw on the TV for future viewing, much like a DVR, but with a lesser picture quality) The thing is, I don't know, can you record the things on your TV to a DVD? And if so, do I have a friend with both basic cable and the ability to do such things? Do I?

Also, this has nothing to do with Mad Men, but it made me laugh.....because it is funny.....and, believe it or not, contrary to what my children say, I have a fine sense of humor.

2 comments:

lori.huffaker said...

DVR stands for Digital Video RECORDER
(I think) And I'm your girl. Or really, Darin is your guy cause I don't know how to do it, but I know it can be done cause he records movies. I will tell him to burn it for you.

wesley's mom (sue) said...

Duh! I know it stands for RECORDER, I just didn't know how it worked. I was under the impression that it saved things for you to watch later, then erase, not that you could save them forever on a disk for your very best friend in the whole world (which what Darin will be if he records Mad Men for me).

 
>