>

Friday, June 4, 2010

The word on the street is that I am sometimes cruel and unusual

Summer vacation is upon us.  It's a time, I've been told (rather emphatically), to relax, hang out with your friends, and, um, relax. I've also been told that it's just plain mean to expect anyone to work when they are on vacation. To which I have somewhat unsympathetically replied, "HA! That's what you think!"

I'm not much of a relaxer.  I'm also not on vacation.  Although, I have to admit, I don't think I could take a 10 week vacation anyway. It seems, I don't know, gluttonous. 

Which is why, a mere 3 days into "Summer Vacation", I have implemented a 7 a.m. wake up call Monday through Friday with a side of "daily projects" for my able bodied children to complete over the next couple of months while they are vacating. Cruel? Maybe.Unreasonable? I don't think so.  (Though I have had an actually ADULT tell me I might be crossing the line. Hmm.)

Whatever.

Do you make your kids work during summer vacation, or do you allow them to sleep the day away and rot their little brains playing video games during their waking hours? (I'm not planning to change my plan, just curious.)

Also, it's National Doughnut Day.  Seriously.  I love a good doughnut as much as the next guy, but I wonder, when is it going to be National Broccoli Day?

3 comments:

MommyJ said...

My kids have to do their regular chores... the dishwasher, the trash, putting their laundry away, and cleaning all the toilets. But that's an all year round thing, not just summer time. I don't let them do whatever they want though... we do no tv and no video games except on weekends... mostly because if we don't have the rule, they will literally rot their entire summer away. They can't self regulate, and there's too many of them for me to referee all the time, so it's easier to just say not at all, except on fridays and saturdays. I say work is good for kids. I don't think I would make mine wake up early though... but they are all still young enough that the latest I could ever hope for them sleeping is 7:30 or so.

val of the south said...

Wow, what a mean mom! :) Seriously though, my kids will be doing cleaning projects and plenty of outdoor activity, but no getting up early for us. I've been counting down the days until I can turn off the alarm for summer!! (my husband works afternoons)

Carefree summers are some of my best memories, so I try to keep ours unstructured.

Nan said...

Hello, I found you from Blogfrog.Thank you for sharing nice blog.

please join my community and visit my blog if you have chance for exchange our Quality time!

http://theblogfrog.com/1233755
http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

Have a great day.
Nan

 
>