>

Saturday, May 15, 2010

I owe it all to my lucky socks.

Today is the last soccer game of the season. On one hand I’m so relieved because I really don’t have time for soccer right now, on the other hand I’m a little sad. This has been a fun team to coach and we’ve actually been winning our games using skill instead of luck and voodoo, which is pretty amazing because I never even got any track pants and how a team can win their games with an improperly dressed coach who has no real soccer skills to pass along to her team is a modern mystery, but who am I to question fate?

There’s this funny kid on my team, this tiny little firecracker and he says “Bloody Hell!” all the time. It’s hilarious. Yesterday I was making them repeat something over and over and finally he slaps his forehead, gives me a look and says “Bloody Hell! How many times are we going to do this?” How many indeed. He's just saying what they're all thinking. The problem is, no matter how many times they repeat something at practice they often get on the field during a game and forget every bit of it (come to think if it, maybe we are winning because of the voodoo). Even during a winning game it can be painful to watch.

Last week at practice one of the dads told me that he thinks it would be really good for our team if I told the kids to spread out during games and concentrate on playing their positions, and if I could get them to control the ball a little better that would be great too. Apparently he thinks we’ve been swapping recipes at practice. So I said, “Hey! That’s a great idea! Why don’t you tell them and have them run a couple of drills for you?” He smiled like he was going to show me how it was done, and thanked me for giving him the opportunity (like I was giving him a gift.hahaha). 15 minutes later, he gave up. I didn’t mock him. I can be kind when I feel like it. Coaching 8 and 9 year olds is like teaching deaf kittens to dance. Easy peasy. Not everyone has the stomach for it.

No comments:

 
>