>

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It's not about winning, right?

I’ve been sitting here for an hour trying to plan my soccer practice which starts in 30 minutes but I haven’t been able to plan anything because of the endless loop playing in my head. It sounds something like “Holy Hell woman what were you thinking volunteering to coach a soccer team? Huh? HUH?!!”

The answer is “I HAVE NO IDEA!”

Each practice leaves me more insecure about my lack of skills. My brother came to our last practice, which, while super kind of him and very helpful for the children, served as a big loud reminder that I KNOW NOTHING about soccer. I mean, it’s fun, and I like the kids and they seem to like me, but I just have no idea what I’m doing and I feel like I’m going to ruin it for them.

Also there’s this one mom, she hates me. I can tell. She rarely speaks to me, mostly she just gives me this look then sends her son to practice with “pointers” for me. He’ll say “My mom said I should show the other kids how to ____” “My mom said I should only play ______” “My mom said ______” Last week I told him it was too bad he or his mom aren’t the coach. What I really meant was “Tell your mom to put up or shut up. If she wants to be the coach here’s my whistle.” But that’s not really the kind of thing you can say to an 8 year old.

My assistants are no help. I ask them if they have any ideas and they say “You’re the coach, it’s up to you.” Then they laugh, like there's some MAN joke that I'm not in on. Really? Just like that you’re going to let your kid go down in flames because you don’t want to be in charge? Or because you want to prove to me that I'm an idiot.  Trust me, I KNOW I'm an idiot.

You know that’s really what’s going on here, right? None of these people wanted to be responsible for anything. The mom with the stink eye? She’s at every practice sitting in her lawn chair the entire time, taking notes, thinking she knows more than I do (ok, knowing she knows more than I do), so why didn’t she step up and coach? She clearly has ideas about the right way to do it.

I’m the only one, out of 14 kids, that’s 28 parents, who was stupid brave enough to take this on. That has to count for something, right? Just agree, okay?

Thanks.

5 comments:

James said...

God bless you.

Have you picked up any books on planning practices. They have oodles of drills to run.

Hoolie said...

I'm sure that last thing you need is more "advice" since I am sure you get a lot of it. Here is the website to US Youth Soccer, and in the coaches section there's lots of resources (sample drills & explanations) you might find helpful. I learned just as much in my years of coaching soccer as I did in my years of playing. I know it's a lot easier to criticize someone else than it is to actually do the coaching. Good luck.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/index.html

Scott Thomas said...

I think it's awesome that you at least volunteered. I think that those other parents think their lives are just to busy. I look forward to my kids hopefully playing one day, so I can help them and maybe coach, but if I don't the last person I will be talking smack about is the one coaching.

If you need some help I'm open after this weekend and I'm sure my girls would love to come and watch.

Good job and way to be a great example to your kids.

wesley's mom (sue) said...

You are all very sweet. Yes I have gotten some books, and my brothers (all three of them) have been SUPER helpful. For me anyway, it's one thing to have what seems like a logical plan for practice, but entirely another to go to practice and act like I know what I'm doing in front of the parents (who for crying out loud must have SOMETHING better to do than watch me look like a fool for an hour). I guess it's stage fright.

Anyway, last night went better and I will definetly check out the link, thanks Hoolie.

Scott, if you're serious I just might be calling you.

The Boyfriend Shopper said...

Hey there. I'm absolutely loving your blog, I just stumbled across it. I will definitely be following!

Feel free to check out mine, I think you'd especially love it.

www.theboyfriendshopper.blogspot.com

 
>