>

Thursday, January 21, 2010

If she finds out she can get Hee Haw from Netflix I'm in trouble

My daughter thinks she loves country music.

I’ve been trying to look the other way, hoping it was a phase. I thought if I didn’t make it a big deal those sad songs coming from her little flowered stereo would go away, and she would stop using her microphone to sing about broken hearts and lost dogs, I’m starting to think I that was the wrong approach and she’s really a fan. This morning she corrected me “It’s not Russell Flatts mom. It’s Rascal." Really? A grown-up named Rascal? What were his parents thinking?

I’m not sure how she even found out about country music in the first place. I don’t listen to it, unless you count the occasional Dixie Chicks fling, or teaching my kids the words to Family Tradition, which I don’t. The Dixie Chicks aren’t country and Hank, well, my mom’s third husband bore a striking resemblance, in both looks and disposition, it’s sentimental. When I think of being whiskey bent and hell bound, he’s the first thing that pops into my mind.

I listen to the music of my youth-80’s alternative, U2 when they were fresh and full of angst, and the music of my parent’s youth-Simon and Garfunkel and the Beatles. I listen to Alicia Keys, The Kings of Leon….every once in a while The Black Eyed Peas (you know, when I’m in the car alone and no one can see me dancing). I’ve tried to expose our children to “good” music. I’ve shared my CDs, my mix tapes, my vintage INXS concert t-shirts, I've told them how The Cure is misunderstood and how “back then” big hair was cool.

I was going to blame my mother, because that’s what people do in situations like this. Everyone knows, when there's no reasonable explanation, you blame your mother.

Also, my mother is a walking greatest hits country music album so…..

Then last night it was raining and I heard my husband ask our daughter if she knew that song about the rain on the windows. All at once everything started to make sense. HE'S the one who told her about country music, he's always trying to wreck my plans.  When he started singing I had a flashback of riding in my mom’s old Chevette with Kenny Rogers coming from the cassette deck.

Suddenly things were moving in slow motion and they were headed toward the computer so he could show her this-

Naturally I stopped them, Morning Desire is not a condition I want to be explaining to a 9 year old.

I won this round but who knows what I'll be up against next time.  It’s clear to me that I’m going to have to get a lot more aggressive and put a stop to this before she starts asking for Crystal Gayle CDs and Oak Ridge Boys posters.

2 comments:

AuBien said...

A sure cure....wake her up to Marty Robbins and Willie Nelson blasting the CD player every Saturday morning at 6:30am for a couple of years like my stepdad did. Cured any hope of me ever enjoying classic country.

Todd said...

There are worse things than Country Music you know, like the Black Eyed Peas for instance. If it's too late to change her musical preference you could still try to influence it. There is some cool stuff out there under the 'Alt Country' banner.
Try Son Volt, Roger Clyne, or the Bottlerockets. You've got Rhapsody don't you.

 
>