>

Friday, October 23, 2009

Lisssping is NOT funny

It's not. I'm not even kidding one little bit. A few days ago we made a video for our family blog and my daughter asked why her voice sounded so weird on the recording, so I explained to her how most people don't recognize their voices when they hear them, but she sounds just the same to me. Then I recorded myself so she could hear my voice live and recorded, you know, to prove the point that both would sound the same to her. ---You are never going to believe this, but when my voice is recorded it doesn't sound the same at all, when my voice is recorded.......I have a LISP!!!! How on earth can that be?

At first I was in denial. How is it possible? I have 3 brothers, if I had a lisp wouldn't they have teased me during my youth? Of course they would have, have you met my brothers? Then there's the fact that I am like 80, or 41, or 26, years old. Wouldn't I know by now if I were a lisper? In all of these decades wouldn't someone have suggested speech therapy to me? HUH!? I'm telling you what, if they cared at all they sure would have!! Thanks Mom!!!Can you develop Late Onset Lisping? Is it contagious? What if I caught it from one of those kids I tutor at the elementary school?

Holy cow!! What if it'ssss true? What if I am a walking SSSNL ssskit? What if my friendsss make fun of me when I'm not around? What if that'sss why I can't make NEW friendsss?

When my kids came home from school I said "why didn't you guys ever tell me I have a lisp?" Of course they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. But I know that's becasue they're teenagers and they just wanted to get away from me and make jokes about my speech impediment and also my perception impediment. Because, really, who doesn't know they lisp? No one that's who.

I'm left with no choice but to do what any self-conscious insecure woman would do. I've made a video of myself so you can decide. I realize that some of you have never heard my voice "live", if you'd like to call me I can speak to you on the phone, though now that I think about it, I fear the telephone also distorts my voice, because people are constantly asking me to repeat myself. I just figured they had poor connections.

video

ps. if you know what's good for you, and my self image, under NO circumstances will you make fun of my excessive blinking or that tendon in my neck that pops up sometimes.

7 comments:

Alexis said...

Have you felt ok since you tripped over our dog? Because you do sound a little funny but you didn't sound like that when you were here, really.

Maybe it's your camera? You should perhaps look into one with a lisping reduction technique, you know like red eye but better for your needs.

Just a thought.

GRAMEE said...

I love your Hair!

Todd said...

You've always talked like that.

wesley's mom (sue) said...

Todd & Alexis~ so which is it? You can't both be right. One of you says the lisp is new, one of you says it's always been there. Confer and report back.

Gramee~Thanks. My hair is the bain(sp?)of my existence, or it was until I caught this nasty lisp.

Todd said...

Alright, did you even watch that video of yourself before you posted it?

"Eyes sthink eyess have a lisssssssssssppp?"

Your lisp is so pronounced that it seems a little staged. Is this some kind of hair-brained publicity stunt?

I've known you for thirty-four years, and I've heard you do a lot of talking, a LOT of talking, and never before have I noticed that you speak like a cartoon snake. What gives sister? Either this a joke, or you've maybe suffered some kind of head trauma that affected your speech.

Either way you may want to talk to your therapist about this.

wesley's mom (sue) said...

Did I watch it? Are you kidding that was like take 10! It's not easy making a video for public consumption.

What kind of publicity stunt do you think I would be pulling? Trying to get a reality deal for people with speech impediments?

I'm starting to think you aren't taking this seriously.

Heidi Ashworth said...

It was very fun to hear and see you in action. I'd say a little bit of a lisp but no big deal. I think I have one too. Hey, I just wanted to say thank you so much for your comment on my blog this morning--I hope it helped get this person off her high horse. I just can't think what she, whomever she is, is thinking--it boggles the mind b/c you are so right--there is tons going on with this situation that I did not put in that post. I had to take it down because it just got me so upset but bless you and thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

 
>