>

Thursday, August 27, 2009

What’s your sick day policy

Barely a full week into the new school year my son tried to pull the “stomach ache” routine, not the best ailment to claim since I usually require vomit or a temperature before I even consider a day off. And vomit hasn’t been a sure thing since two years ago when one of my boys choked on a jawbreaker at school, causing him to gag and throw up a little, at which point the witnesses (a gaggle of 14 year old boys) convinced him (it was really hard I’m sure) that it counted as a real puke so he called me from the nurse’s office. Naturally I picked him up. I didn’t find out about the jawbreaker until his brother came home from school and asked if it was true that he’d choked on a giant Gobstopper.

Anyway, the stomach ache. I sent him to school. I told him if he came down with a fever, or threw up due to natural causes, he could call me from the nurse’s office. That’s when he told me he doesn’t bother with the nurse because she won’t let you call home unless you have a fever of “at least 300 degrees”.

Thankfully he doesn’t exaggerate, I’d never know how he was feeling.

So, I’m curious. I’ve been told that I just don’t care, that I’m heartless, and if people started dying around here I wouldn’t even notice—which could not be farther from the truth, my nose is VERY sensitive—Do you let your kids decided when they are sick enough to miss school or church or whatever? Or are you mean like me and do you make them suck it up and keep going?

8 comments:

Alyson (New England Living) said...

I sort of go back and forth on this one. Sometimes I'm really hard core, but most of the time I'm pretty much a softie.

Karen said...

Your nose is very sensitive ... ha ha ha!

Here's my rule. If they stay home from school, they have to lay down all day long as to heal properly and they cannot play with friends ... ever after school ... as to not contaminate others. Oddly enough, nobody wants to stay home anymore!

James said...

If you're not hurling, you're going to school.

MommyJ said...

I'm pretty tough too. I need visible proof of sickness. If there is no proof, but they still insist they are dead dog sick, I go with Karen's rule. If they still wanna stay home, even with that rule over their heads, I let them. Cause then i know they really are sick!

HollyB said...

I think you should just do as the nurse does and wait until the temp reaches "at least 300degrees" (too cute!)

Homer and Queen said...

Hey, if mine don't need CPR or a tourniquet, they are going to school!

wesley's mom (sue) said...

I'm just going to print out your comments (well except Alyson, she's WAYYY too nice) and hang them on my fridge so my kids will know I'm not alone in my battle against sick days.

lori.huffaker said...

Fevers, bleeding excessivly, vomiting or large splochy rashes that are not covered by thier clothes, that's it now, I have learned my lesson from the 4th grade ambulance ride from school. It was ot free. So, JAxon will be paying for it for the rest of his school life by having to go unless he has one of the above symptons!

 
>