>

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Setting the record straight

I was in the Army. Did you guys know that? Well I was. It’s not the big deal that people sometimes think it is when they hear. To be honest, who knows where I might be today if I not made the choice to enlist. I wish I could say that I was a patriot who joined so I could serve my country but really I was just a girl headed down a slippery slope toward a career as a cashier at the Winn-Dixie who would have used her store discount to buy beer had she not lived in a dry county. I felt trapped, joining the military actually saved me from myself. It gave me a chance to start fresh and time to breathe. It was like going to a spa- without facials or fluffy white robes, you know, a budget spa.

In my zeal to be entertaining last week, I fear that I may have given the wrong impression about my experience. It’s possible, likely even, that I made it sound worse than it actually was.

I was raised around the military so I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into. I knew the worst part about the training would be the mental games. It was physically hard, and I was more tired than I have ever been in my life, I don’t think I have even been that tired when I had an enfant. I didn’t LOVE being in the Army, but I certainly don’t regret it. I was able to travel and meet some great people (like my husband) as well as tons of crazies, and those are the things you can’t put a price on. It was a good option for me. I was challenged and given opportunities to do things I would likely have never done on my own, like walk 12 miles uphill through a sandpit in my uniform carrying a rucksack in the wretched humidity of a North Carolina summer day or become a licensed exterminator or drive a really big truck or learn how to wax a floor to a mirror-like shine.

It’s obviously not for everyone, but in my case it was the right choice.  I just wanted to clear that up.

2 comments:

Homer and Queen said...

I am saluting you soldier! I think it's great you signed up, no judging here, just suprised!

Karen said...

This definitely would not have been for me ... and I will always be super impressed that this was in your blood. Dang!

 
>