>

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You probably think this song is about you

You’re so vain wrong. Nope, it’s about me, just like yesterday and the day before. How do you stand it? Why hasn’t someone mentioned how much time I spend talking about myself over here on the old blog? To be honest, it’s a little embarrassing the way I go on and on. And on and on and.........

As I settled in to pound out another fascinating post about, well, me, I suddenly thought to myself-“Hey! What makes you think anyone wants to read another one of your slightly narcissistic, somewhat introspective, posts today?” I was kind of shocked to hear myself talking to myself like that; I’m not usually so harsh (except when I’m at book group).

If you met me in real life I would tell you how I hate to be the center of attention, and I do, I HATE it. I’ve had nightmares about surprise parties where I am the guest of honor. I would tell you how public speaking makes me feel like I’m going to vomit, and it’s true, it does. Sweaty palms, weak knees, the whole package. Yet day after day, I come to the internet, a not so very private place, and spill my guts all over the place. Can anyone explain what would possess a person to do such a thing?

I really could be making better use of my time and yours. I mean, as long as I have your undivided attention (And I do, right? Your attention is undivided, isn’t it?) why don’t I write about something else? I’m perfectly capable, I’m not completely dense, at least not as dense as I could be, I care about stuff, like social issues and politics and the environment. It’s true. I don’t just sit around gazing at my navel all day. Just part of the day. I’m interested in things, like books, art, movies, and music. Here’s the real kicker, I’m interested in what other people think about all of those things too. I know, who would have thought, right? I'd be willing to bet you are interested in things besides what I'm up to, right? I thought so. And I don’t expect you guys to just read what I have to say and suffer in silence. Comment, converse, tell me how you feel. If you think I’m wrong, tell me why, I can take it, and if you think I’m right even better (just kidding!).

I'm really going to cut back on all of this me, me, me business. Tomorrow, a post about something besides ME. You can’t wait, right? Me either.

3 comments:

Homer and Queen said...

I like hearing about you! It's like listening to myself ranting and raving...and yes it is all about me!

Heidi Ashworth said...

I think most bloggers feel that paranoia about the me-centered blog stuff at one time or another. Branching out is fine. So is not branching out. It's just the nature of the beast.

gramee said...

i once heard someone say what is it about bloggers..all they do is write about themselves. well isn't that the point? the blog is for you about you.
you just invite others to read it. so continue to write what you please. i like you just the way you are.
don't change for our sake.

 
>