>

Thursday, March 5, 2009

No wonder she can’t watch The Bachelor

A few nights ago my mother called, she had been snowed in at work for two nights and was unable to get home because the roads to her house were too treacherous. I almost cried because she works at Wal-Mart, can you imagine the horror of spending over 48 consecutive hours there? I considered calling in the National Guard. It was that bad.

---I’m just kidding. She doesn’t work at Wal-Mart; she works the front desk at the one Marriott in town. Cry me a river. I could stand to be snowed in at the Marriott for a couple of days. I do think she had been hitting the mini-bar though (do they have mini-bars at Marriott’s?), for someone who has been without her hot rollers for 3 days, she was pretty giddy.

We started talking about a trip she is taking this week, to Texas, and how her uncle wants to take her across the border to Mexico, but her mother (my Granny) doesn’t think she should go because it’s too dangerous. I think I said something about my Granny’s idea of danger being the fact that there is no Cracker Barrel in Mexico and told my mom she should be her own woman and head right on across the border for crying out loud and while she was there could she pick up some vanilla for me? Because everyone knows the best vanilla comes from Mexico, and I’m almost out. Danger, ha!

After that was settled I asked her if she was going to watch the Bachelor finale. “Oh no, I don’t watch The Bachelor” she said. “I don’t like the way he dates all those women at once and he kisses all of them, it’s just not right.”And all the drama, it’s silly.” “Nope, I don’t watch it.”

I think that was the mini bar talking.

Yesterday my sister-in-law called to tell me that my mother’s 2nd husband died last weekend. Mom was a little upset when she called to give her the news. First of all, my mother wasn’t sure how she was “supposed to feel” about the man who beat her and threatened her with a gun throughout their marriage being dead (too bad she didn’t call me because I knew right away exactly how I felt about it), then there was the fact that she wasn’t going to be able to talk about this tragic loss with the man she lives with now because that would mean she would have to tell him that she got the news from her 3rd husband (who is the cousin of the dead 2nd husband) and her current “companion” doesn’t know she still talks to #3 “every now and then”.

Oh the tangled web we weave.

Before getting off the phone with my sister-in-law, my mother was able to pull it together enough to ask if, by the way, my dad (husband #1) had sent any pictures of his new wife. She was just curious. She definitely was not planning to take copies of those pictures with her on her dangerous trip to Texas/Mexico and saying catty things about my dad’s new wife. Nope. No siree. She doesn’t go in for all the drama.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Maybe she just has an issue with the thought of it all being televised! Doing it is one thing, advertising it is completely another. I'm with her, I think it's a crazy phenomenon that the Bachelorette girls don't hire hit men and knock one another off to get them out of the way... but I can't help but watch. I'm still irritated with Jason, but I wouldn't have missed it!

Sticky (not too) said...

Oh that made me laugh...you gotta love family (they always semm to be able to find you when you move away...)

 
>