>

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I don’t consider myself a dog person per se. But I wouldn’t say I’m not a dog person, I like dogs. I like them just fine, but I want a low maintenance easy going dog who doesn’t suffer from separation anxiety. I don’t need anything fancy, just a dog that won’t eat my sofa while I’m at the grocery store.

Turns out some people want a whole lot more from their dogs. Turns out some people want little Calvin Klein dogs. They want little Tory Burch pooches. They want – “Designer Dogs!!”

As usual I’m the last to find out about all things trendy. This designer dog business has apparently been going on behind my back for quite a while. These dogs, hybrid breeds, are a mix of a couple breeds, and there’s MATH involved in figuring out how to get all the good stuff from each parent and not so much of the not so good stuff. The formula looks vaguely like something I may or may not have studied once upon a time in biology. Something that is all a blur to me now because I was all swoony over my lab partner, the dreamy Kevin Snyder, who was a senior, and I had no idea at the time that this information might come in handy some day for pet selection, besides, if I recall correctly (and what are the odds of that, really?) all of our examples involved sheep (it was Kentucky after all). Who knew?

Anyway, most of these hybrids have names that end in poo or doodle, for the record, that alone would keep me from ever owning one.

Here’s what I really want to know. Back in the olden days if my poodle got out and hooked up with the golden retriever down the street the offspring would have been called a “mixed breed” which used to be a fancy name for mutt, and would have made them less desirable, right? But now, if my poodle gets out and hooks up with ANY dog in the neighborhood, we can just make up a name that has “oodle” on the end of it and people will be beating down my door to get their hands on the puppies. Does that pretty much cover it?

Am I the only one that thinks some people have way too much time on their hands? (Says the woman who just spent an hour writing about dogs whose names end in poo.) Or could I just be jealous because I am not ingenious enough to think up a scam like this? Maybe I am just nostalgic for the old days when people wore Levis and drank tap water and biology was used for important stuff.

4 comments:

Alexis said...

Sometimes those dogs that eat your sofa while you're out buying groceries grow up to be very well behaved dogs, thank you very much and besides the sofa was a worthless family heirloom, we were better off without it.

As for the poo and doodle dogs, we know a lot of people who own them and it also appears that these people are being trendy and in on the 'new' best thing, and they are very proud to own one of these things.

Todd said...

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a Miniature German Chicockerpooddle?


I heard that they don't eat your priceless (read: worthless) heirloom furniture or your friend's kids.

Anonymous said...

Don't you mean Chicockerpoodoodle?

wesley's mom said...

Yeah, I don't really have too many heirlooms hanging around, but the eating of small children is becoming a problem.

 
>