>

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Anyone feel like they can back me up here?

I think I’ve mentioned before that my husband likes to hang on to things. Especially if they are “well made” and could come in handy in 20 or 30 years.

If you don’t mind, I’d like to tell you a story.

When we were dating Sylvan had this great stereo. He had spared no expense. It was fancy for those days, 5 CD carousel. Mmmm. I knew I had hit the jackpot.

We married and merged our cool stuff, his stereo and my large wardrobe, which consisted of the entire spring and summer lines from both The Limited and The Limited Express. Oh, I also had a really big bottle of Obsession; it looked great on our bathroom counter next to his really big bottle of Claiborne for Men.

We had it all, we looked good, our tunes sounded great, and our scents were in perfect 90’s harmony.

Then we up and had some kids. Then those kids up and learned to walk. Before you knew it they were carrying sharp objects around and had figured out a way to pry the covers off of the speakers and started poking the innards and just generally disregarding the importance of good sound quality. Those were dark days.

It wasn’t too long before the carousel stopped working and the whole stereo was put on a shelf in the garage until it could be repaired, because “That’s an expensive stereo, we aren’t just going to throw it away!!” 8 years and 4 moves later that stereo “accidentally" fell into a garbage can on it’s way to the moving van. I wish I could tell you it was that easy to get rid of those speakers.
They currently serve as nightstands for Sylvan and I. Here's mine.
Here's Sylvan's. If you look closely....

....you can see some of the damage our deranged toddlers inflicted all those years ago.

These speakers do not work and they are 20 years old.

We are considering moving. Our new bedroom will not be as spacious as our current bedroom. In fact the whole house is a little smaller, so I suggested that maybe since we are going to have to scale down, this would be the ideal time to release our old speakers to landfill heaven. After all they have served us well, and for much longer than any speakers should be expected to.
But he's not having it. At the mere suggestion Sylvan launched right into his "You can't just go out and buy stuff like that anymore! Those were expensive speakers!!" rant. Is he right? I don't know anything about speakers, I'm willing to admit that, but these two seem pretty bad off to me AND (I hope I'm not struck down for being so worldly) I would really like one of those nifty nightstands, the ones that don't make you feel like you dug them out of a dumpster every time you see them, and greedy as it is, I'd give anything for a drawer. Just one little drawer, is that too much to ask?

4 comments:

LaurieJ said...

I love to throw stuff away! My kids run to protect their stuff when they see me coming with a garbage sack.

Those have definitely got to go :-)

Ward and June said...

Drawers? Just yank one of those speakers lose, stuff your stuff inside the speaker box, and viola.
As a matter of fact, I think I saw these same nightstands at IKIA.

Cheryle said...

Okay, there's a reason they don't make things like that anymore: they're big and they're no longer attractive!

Just a tip from someone who was married for years to a hoarder: "Furniture" (such as your "nightstands") can actually suffer structural damage that will make them unusable for anything at all! You just need to be creative... :-)

Homer and Queen said...

Our hubbs must have gone to the same man school! You could trade tthe speakers in for food storage nightstands!

 
>