>

Thursday, January 8, 2009

What does this mean?

I just heard about this funny book “Stuff White People Like” (there’s a blog too). At Borders they keep it in the humor section and I like funny stuff so I thought I’d check it out.

It’s written like a guide book. You know, to be helpful.

I started flipping through it and as I read each section title I started to wonder what was so funny. I mean, I DO like documentaries and movies with subtitles, and it’s true I wear T-shirts and I recycle. So what, doesn’t everyone? Am I a joke because my favorite sandwich is a little expensive?

I don’t get it. Is this book making fun of me because I wear scarves, or is it really trying to explain to other people why organic food is the best? And why is it called “Stuff White People Like”? I thought everyone liked cheese.

If I didn’t know better I’d think someone (like Christian Lander—who happens to be white by the way) was making fun of me.

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Hi :) just dropping by from Crash's blog and had to share this info....there is also a site called stuff mormons like and its actually pretty funny!

Ward and June said...

Although I do enjoy making fun of you, I find the whole "What white people like" thing to be at least in poor taste if not offensive. I mean I can laugh at myself, but I'm not sure where exactly the joke is supposed to be in: "White people Recycle".
I think that there is more than enough focus on race in our world, I don't see why someone needs to try to create some new dividing line.
The Mormon thing though, now that's funny. I'm just kidding, if I was a mormon that would bug me too. Do mormons really like Glenn Beck, Twilight, and Multi-level-scams-I mean Marketing?

wesley's mom said...

I was being serious when I said I was confused. I really don't see what is so funny. I usually get ALL of the jokes, but I am a little lost here.

But the stuff mormons like is so dead on it's scary. Really, that list is all you need to know to inflitrate.--I mean if you were so inclined.

Glenn Beck, they LOVE him. I say "they", because as hard as it is for me to admit publicly, I don't think I've ever heard him. --I know I'm going on some kind of list for that one.

The other thing, Multi-level-marketing, I have NEVER been able to figure it out, but LDS people are drawn to those as if by some magnetic pull. It's bizarre.

 
>