>

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My fellow Americans

I’m one of those women who cries when she watches Folgers commercials, and the Olympics, forget it. I sit down with a box of tissues to enjoy the opening exercises and two weeks later my nose is so red my kids are calling me Rudolph. Knowing that, it should come as no surprise to anyone that this whole inauguration has me beside myself with emotion. I’m inspired, I’m hopeful, I’m proud.

Today the first African American president of the United States will take office. That’s a pretty big deal.

An even bigger deal to me is his message that we can come together, that we MUST come together. A message that tells us if we can serve one another, we Americans can be great. It’s a message that I think has been lacking as we have spent so long looking out only for ourselves, minding our own business, and letting others take care of their own problems. Feeling like the other guy made his bed, now let him lie (or lay, or wallow, or whatever) in it, I’ve got my own problems to worry about. It’s true, I do have my own problems, no doubt you have a few of your own, but I have a lot to be grateful for as well and plenty to share.

I love that we are being asked to give, to sacrifice, and to serve. I love the idea of continuing the momentum of the campaign and the connection to our communities. I love that no one is saying you have to do anything profound to make a change, what we are hearing is that every act, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, is an act that, combined with other acts, large and small, can make a change.

Volunteer at your local library, give blood, read to school children, pick up litter, get involved in your local government, volunteer at a shelter, get to know your neighbors……………………

“Many hands make light work” Lend your hands and lighten the load.

I believe by working together, taking responsibility for ourselves and looking for our neighbors we really can make a difference. Call me sappy, or idealistic, or naïve, or whatever, but I believe it and I believe we can create the kind of future we can look forward to our grandchildren experiencing, and I am hopeful. It’s refreshing and exciting.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.



*Speaking of change, my first stop on the Path to Perfection---Yoga. Lesson 1-Yoga is not for the faint of heart. I’ll tell you all about my mind body experience tomorrow.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I don't think you're sappy or naive or any of those things. Today IS a great day.

Break out the Kleenex.

Cheryle said...

What a glorious day! And how wonderful it is to be asked to participate in our government instead of being told to go shopping and leave it to the politicians!

I haven't been this excited or inspired since 1961!

Bush Babe said...

It's an exciting day to be sure... I see it from a great distance of course, so my perspective is a little different. Am sure most bloggers have referenced it today, among them this Aussie.

Great to see him met with so much positive energy. Long may it last!
:-)
BB

 
>