>

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Just a couple of New Year’s Rambles

*This evening I had to talk my husband out of watching Superstars of Dance so I could watch Masterpiece Theater. I love him but, A. It’s not right for a grown man to be that set on watching superstars dance, and B. Masterpiece=Tess of the d’Urbervilles.

*When you check a book out from the public library you are BORROWING it. It might surprise you to know that someone else will probably read that very same book after you return it. It would be greatly appreciated if you could refrain from turning down page corners (which, to be perfectly honest, you shouldn’t even do to books you OWN, if you really care about books as much as you pretend you do), also making a check mark in INK halfway down the page to remind you exactly where you left off on said corner marked page is kind of a bad idea, not to mention PERMANENT. One more thing, just having that pen handy is not a license to circle printing mistakes. If you fancy yourself an editor apply at a publishing house. Leave the already published books in the library alone. –Oh--, one more thing, “an herb garden” is already correct. At the very least, make sure the grammar you are correcting is incorrect in the first place.

*My New Year’s Resolutions are still a work in progress. I would hate to publicly commit to any changes I hadn’t thoroughly thought through.

*In the meantime, I know I promised to post all of the great fun that was our family white elephant gift exchange, and I did, here and here. It’s on our family blog; feel free to take a look.

**p.s.~ did any of you have the “pleasure” of viewing “A Brand New Year” with your youth? What did you think? Be honest. And what did the kids think?

3 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, no. I fold down the pages of books ALL the time. Drives my husband bonkers. I like to delude myself into thinking that if I really love books, then I will help them look old and worn, like they've been in good use. Like the scriptures.

I'm a monster.

wesley's mom said...

I wouldn't say you're a monster, exactly. Your own books are "techically' none of my business. Not that something being techically none of my business has ever stopped me from making judgements. Maybe I should spend less time worrying about the ethical treatment of books and get cracking on those New Years Resolutions.

Ward and June said...

I think that the ethical treatment of books is an important issue that get overlooked much too often in our society. Thank you for trying to shine the light of justice on this problem.

Superstars of Dance huh?? (I'm shaking my head slowly and rolling my eyes at that one.)

Happy New Year.

 
>