>

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains.

We moved around a lot while I was growing up, four states just during my second grade year. My dad was a little undecided career wise. He finally settled on the Army which led to more moving around. My parents divorced when I was 13, we happened to be living in Kentucky so that’s where most of us stayed.

Most native Kentuckians have a pleasant southern drawl which I picked up as a child, but I suppose not having been born and bred there it didn’t really take because when I left Kentucky at 19 it wasn’t long before I left my sweet southern accent too.

When I joined the Army my roommate was from Massachusetts and I soon found myself sounding like a Kennedy. Not to worry, after basic training I headed off to North Carolina and fell back into the comfortable twang of my youth.

I stayed in North Carolina until I was married and we moved to Arizona. Once again I took up the language of the natives. A language I thought had no identifiable characteristics. I was wrong. It seems that in this part of the valley we are so relaxed that we leave the endings off of words. For example, shopping becomes shoppin, and so forth. There are a few other little things that I have noticed myself doin lately that bother me, mostly because it just sounds sloppy and lazy. I’m now making an effort to trade my Arizona accent for a neutral way of speaking, but I’m starting to wonder if there is any such thing as “plain english”.

What do you think, do you have a regional dialect? Do you wish you did? Which do you enjoy? Which ones drive you up a wall?



**P.S. Hooray for pharmaceuticals. I am feeling better. Lighter. I’m not entirely out of the dank dark forest, but I am getting there. The icky thing (ha, one of the icky things) about depression is the physical symptoms that you think are in your head because you can’t think clearly. The exhaustion and the heaviness, not being able to concentrate, the irritability, all so real, yet seemingly out of my control.

I’m not so tired and, I am happy to report, not so irritable. I’m still feeling a little heavy. I did read a whole book over the weekend, so that’s something on the concentration front, right?

3 comments:

Becky said...

I have heard many people here say, "a couple three." As in "I saw a couple three moose the other day."

It makes me insane! I think smoke starts coming out of my ears. And I don't know exactly why. Yes, it's obnoxious and contradictory, but it really irks me for some reason.

P.S. Glad to hear the fog is lifting!

Cheryle said...

I think there are more people like you than you think. I was born and bred in the South and will still fall back into the accent when I'm around southerners. Otherwise, my accent is mostly neutral (northwest living, I guess!). On the other hand, if I spend any time at all talking to someone with an accent, I'll pick it up. It's especially cute when this (formerly) blonde-haired, blue-eyed grandmother starts talking with a Spanish accent!

So glad you're feeling better! Write yourself a BIG note: "Don't stop the medication." Better living through chemicals. I'm all for it!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

So glad you're feeling better.

In Hawaii we don't have to use prepositions.

 
>