>

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Let’s have a theme week, shall we?

Sorry Becky, I hate to disappoint, I guess I embellished a little, I don’t really know any bank robbers, this will have to do.

Do you borrow? I try not to. I’m not sure why, well, that’s not entirely true. I have issues about lending, which makes me uncomfortable borrowing. There are plenty of people in my life that I feel fine sharing with, but others……………not so much.

Like people who borrow my books but don’t return them, then I have to make excuses to get them back—like “hey my sister wants to read that book if you’re done with it” ( I don't even have a sister!) or “do you have ….. I can’t remember who I lent it to?” (which is totally not true, I never forget). One friend, who I used to think was great, but she’s on yesterday’s list too, maybe I need to reconsider her, she and I have the same taste in books, so I love for her to read what I have read so we can discuss it, BUT either she doesn’t return my books, she forgets to or she lends them to someone at work OR she returns them but they look like they have gone through a wash cycle. It bugs me.

How about this? Once I introduced two of my friends who had a mutual hobby, their only connection was me. Friend A borrowed a tool from friend B and never returned it. When I asked her about it she said “Hmmm, I know that thing is around here somewhere………….” But it WASN’T. I was so embarrassed that I bought a new tool to replace the lost tool, because I felt like a tool for introducing them to one another. It just seems so disrespectful to me to have no regard for someone else’s possessions.

What do you think? Am I too attached to my worldly things? Should I adopt an attitude of “easy come easy go” (right, like that would ever happen)? Do you only lend things that you don’t mind never seeing again?

4 comments:

Ward and June said...

I'm First! I'm first.

You do to have sisters, three of them, I mean how could we not be related, we are both stingy with our books. I'm just kidding, but I feel absolutely the same way that you do x2. I used to freely lend my books and DVDs and cds and then I saw a pattern forming in which my movies lined my friends shelves like they owned them and now I am a little(lot) more reluctant to lend things. At Bunko last month I had a friend ask to borrow two of my Twilight books, I was reluctant, but can't say no and I figure would it really be the end of the world if I never saw 'Breaking Dawn' again? So that was a month ago. And I haven't.

beeeeeeeee said...

I will only lend things on two conditions:

1. It is someone who I feel totally comfortable saying, "Hey you - give me back my stuff!"
or
2. It is something I don't care if I don't get back.

I'm getting pretty good at saying no, though sometimes I have to embellish in order not to hurt someone's feelings. :-)

Becky said...

Well, I'm a good borrower, so I give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are too.

I, uh, can't say that never seeing Breaking Dawn again would put me off lending... :)

wesley's mom said...

Unfortunately I am stingy I guess, I even want to hang on to the books I don't care for. I also lent out two of my twighlight books and they have not been returned, it's bothering me. I need help.

I am horrible at saying no--to anything. And when it comes to most things I honestly can't come up with a good reason for not lending, aside from the fact that I don't trust the other person with my junk, and that's kind of a hard thing to say to most people.

 
>