>

Thursday, November 6, 2008

it's good for you

I’m trying not to blog about being depressed because it’s, you know, depressing. I can’t seem to get my mind to focus on anything else though. It just feels like I am saturated with it. Really, I am just waiting for the Prozac to kick in like it always has before, then I should be able to think a little more clearly.

In the meantime how about some art? These were painted by Mark Rothko.

Orange and Yellow
Red, Orange, Tan and Purple
I love them. Yes, I realize that to some people they look like “just a couple of colors of paint slapped on a canvas” (thanks honey), but when I look at them I feel happy and “warm”. Rothko wanted people to engage on an emotional level with his paintings, he wasn’t trying to make a statement, he was painting his feelings. I get that. I know not everyone does, and that’s okay. Unfortunately his paintings got progressively darker as his depression worsened and he eventually took his own life. ---------------ALERT -----------there is no hidden warning here, just compassion for a man who wasn’t able to overcome his illness.


*I am actually feeling a little better today and I appreciate all of the supportive comments.

6 comments:

Becky said...

This is going to sound weird, but I don't like the first painting. The second one I would love to own.

Strange.

beeeeeeeee said...

Rothko is one of my favorite artists. You can get lost in his work.

Ward and June said...

OK, so I don't care for them but I think that is one of the many wonderful things about art, that each of us is touched differently by it. I am glad you are feeling better, if only a little.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I love paintings that don't make statements, but still tell the truth.

Our feeling are our truth, really.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better. I hear prozac takes a while to kick in.

Darbion. That's what your verifier says.

Darbion is a happy word. It doesn't make a statement either.

Ward and June said...

My word verifier is always a word, is that odd? Like a real word. Earlier is was tense and now it is state. It's beginning to weird me out a little.

I have been looking into Rothko today a little and where as I still don't feel particularly moved by his work I find his to be a very interesting story.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I think you should blog about it...because there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way as you and maybe reading you will help them feel like its okay to talk about it?

 
>