>

Sunday, November 9, 2008

I'm amazed

*This was (I thought) scheduled to post Sunday. oops!

As I watch my fearless girl swim across the pool, with its temperature a brisk fifty degrees, I am overcome with gratitude. I am in awe of her confidence. I bask in her sweetness and her strong will wears me out. She is so many things that I never was and for the life of me I can’t find a way to take the credit for it. I have done nothing special. She’s the last, the bottom of the totem pole with four brothers above her. If you were to ask her though, she’d tell you she’s the eagle on the top.

I hope so much for her. I hope so much for all of them, but she’s my girl. I know how the deck is stacked, and I want her to have choices. Choices I didn’t have or choices I didn’t have the courage to make. Being a parent is so joyously heart wrenching. I love it and it terrifies me at the same time.

2 comments:

Ward and June said...

How did I miss this post. It's great, both the pics and the sentiment, but why the swimming in 50 degree water?

wesley's mom said...

She's a polar bear.

I don't know, I guess they get it from Sylvan, they swim all year. They're freaks.

 
>