>

Friday, October 24, 2008

The eye of the beholder

I have a post, that will hopefully be ready for public viewing later today, but right now I want to tell you about this.

Yesterday morning I went to an orientation meeting for this great program-Art Masterpiece-(you can read all about it there), so I can be a volunteer at my daughter's school.  The coordinator of the program told us about the art, and how it had been approved by the district and been deemed both "Masterpiece" and unoffensive.  Important qualifications when you are presenting in the public school system.  She then stressed to us the importance of ONLY using the approved works, and NOT deciding on our own that something else would make a better presentation.

"Any questions?"

A hand went up in the FRONT ROW "My mother-in-law is a renound local artist, would it be okay if I occasionally took some of her paintings?"

I really think the coordinator lady thought it was a joke, but alas......So then we all got to hear the approved works only portion of the speech for a second time.

Seriously, what is with people?

4 comments:

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Wow. Didn't that lady get it the first time. MUST BE MASTERPIECE! And APPROVED! (YIKES!)

Incredible!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I hate that so bad...it always happened in school...especially on something like Math where the answer is either wrong or right there is no fudging...so dumb!!!

Ward and June said...

I think it is really cool that you are taking those classes and volunteering. Not only should it be rewarding for all the student's but especially the Demandatron (is that the right nickname, I may have forgotten) to see your commitment to art, even if all the art is chosen beforehand.

Becky said...

Sounds a little like my four year old.

"We're going to church today because it's Sunday."

"Mom, is it Tuesday?"

"Uh... no."

At least he's got an excuse. He's four.

 
>