>

Monday, August 25, 2008

I'm sorry. What did you say? I wasn't listening.

For those of you who have been wondering (and even for those of you who haven’t been wondering) how my mother’s visit is going I have an update. There have not been any international incidents so far. In fact it has been quite pleasant, even yesterday when I took her out and about. (Though the teenage boy acting as our cashier at the grocery store seemed to find her flirting a little weird {as well as a tiny bit scary I’d be willing to bet}).

A couple of days ago my sister-in-law graciously offered to have my mom join her and my nieces at their little singing class. She asked me for a list of possible conversation topics. I threw one together, but the truth is my mom could talk for hours without taking a breath, so you really don’t have to worry about being at a loss for words, she does all the work.

Here are a few things she likes to talk about (in no particular order)

1. The Olympics

2. Food (especially the dessert portion of the meal)

3. How other people raise their kids and/or spend their money (heaven forbid they are bad at both)

4. The weather

5. Any gossip you have access to, she doesn't have to know the people you are gossiping about she is just so intrigued by human nature

6. Eric Estrada’s undercover work and his handsomeness. “He’s still just as good looking as he was when he was on that TV program.” (I’m not kidding, but I surely wish I were.)

7. How easy it is to get yourself some disability in Virginia (from the sounds of it, they could use an overhaul of that there system)

8. Funerals and dead people, it is not necessary for you to have ever even seen the corpse in question, you will certainly still get to hear about their tragic passing and their amazing funeral.

9. Her 401K

10. My dead step mother

If all else fails she will be glad to talk about her version of the past, or friends and family who are currently incarcerated or on parole.

1 comment:

Ward and June said...

So you'll call like 30 seconds after she boards the plane right? I mean I have to know how I raise my kids and spend my
money,incarceration and that step-mother of yours.

 
>