>

Saturday, July 19, 2008

It was a dark dark knight

I was fully prepared to come home last night and sing the praises of the Caped Crusader, unfortunately I am not going to be able to do that.

I saw the movie. That’s not the problem. My 13 year old son and I went, for a fun night out, the two of us. Turns out, Batman, he isn’t quite as fun as he used to be.

Before you go telling me “It’s called Dark Knight for a reason” and all that junk, I KNOW. I’ve seen the trailers and read the “news” and of course heard all the hype around Heath Ledgers death. I expected it to be edgy. I'm not a stick in the mud, I was looking forward to it.

What I didn’t expect was to be depressed. The movie left me feeling hopeless. There were a few times I wondered about my choice to bring my son-don’t even get me started on the family behind me with 3 children under 7. -They have ratings for a REASON people!! PG-13. If you can’t get a sitter stay home for crying out loud!!-As we were leaving the theater I looked at the line of ticket holders waiting to take our seats and there were several young children I started to get angry, at the parents and the media and the ratings guys. (Sorry, I warned you not to get me started, I’ll save the rest of that rant for another day.)

Many of the previews we saw before the movie started were very dark as well, leading me wonder if we are not on the same path as Gotham, where everyone seems to have given up hope, even our hero. Will our children really believe that “you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain”? I hope not. It surely seems that some of our leaders have. The parallels to many current events were obvious. Problems are not always easily solved, sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, being the good guy can damage your soul. I get it. I’m not so sure about the little guys sitting behind me though.

On the way home I talked to my son. He said he was surprised by just how dark the movie had been. We talked about the violence, and how we almost felt pity for the villains with their obvious mental illness and sad circumstances. We talked about fantasy vs. reality, good vs. evil, and the ends justifying the means. I was glad he saw the movie with me and not his friends.

I’ll miss you Bruce, but this might be the end for us.

2 comments:

Ward and June said...

We watch a lot of movies and I feel the same way. Maybe I want my Hollywood ending. I want to feel better and not like the world is hopeless. Every now and again I wouldn't mind the real life ending in a movie, but that isn't why we call movies entertainment. I don't mind being brought down if you bring me back up again but more and more movies leave me feeling down. I know it was the Dark Knight and all but is is kind of sad to think that such a gloomy movie has set all of these records and that will probably just lead to more doom and gloom on the big screen.

Lisa said...

Kudos to you for watching it with him and having that discussion to help him frame what he saw. I don't think we can shield our kids completely from the world anymore. I'd rather have them exposed to some of the darkness under conditions where I can help them interpret it in a healthy way, than to have them exposed without me. Because they will be exposed, despite my best efforts.

 
>