>

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

There's more to life than being really, really, really ridiculously good looking.

Turns out having a sense of humor might not be a good thing when you have kids.

I have always felt a little proud of the way we are open with our kids, and that they are developing similar senses of humor. If they can't have fashion sense at least let them be funny. Once in a while they say something really funny and I am touched, sentimental almost. It’s a fine moment when your child effortlessly tells a good one.

I think my brothers are hilarious, and I love to laugh, don’t ask me where I got it because my parents were not that funny (lots of the crap they pulled could be called a joke, just not the funny kind). If I had to describe our brand of humor I’d call it –dry, subtle, like a nice bottle of wine, or at least a really expensive beer. We see the ridicules around us and we mock it.

But when you hear your 9 year old say-“Look, I’m wearing business socks”, you might be in need of a filter. When your 15 year old doesn’t’ realize that recapping last night’s SNL for the grandparents is a bad idea, you might need to chat about different kinds of funny. When your 8 year old daughter is better at sarcasm than you are, well, maybe you’ve overdone it.

Sarcasm is in my blood. Even my grandparents are sarcastic. I don’t always realize I’m doing it, I open my mouth and snarky comments come out. It’s a gift. One that not everyone has-or gets. I forget that sometimes, and have had to explain my wit to people.

“That was a joke, I was kidding.” * “I do not really think it’s sweet when my mother wears a mini skirt.”

I have also had to make the “morning after” phone calls more than once because I worry that I have offended someone with my “humor”. Is that the legacy I want for my children? I don’t want them going out into the cold dark world telling knock-knock jokes. What do you think? Is it like starting solid foods? Is there an age when you should start, a little at a time, being funny around them? Explaining-“that’s called irony” we’ll be focusing on that skill for the next 3 weeks, then we will add drollness, and follow-up with a lesson on one-liners and witty banter before the holidays, because believe me, nothing makes the holiday season go by more smoothly than some ironic one-liners

4 comments:

Ward and June said...

You should be proud, I know far too many people who take everything way too serios. Myself, even at times.

-june

wesley's mom said...

Well, taking things seriously is not our problem.

It's the inapropriate comments at the inapropriate times. Big problem.

Things like performing your stand-up routine for your grandparents. Not pretty.

Ward and June said...

Wow, do you have that to send us?

-june

wesley's mom said...

What? The stand up routine? He's very spontanious. One of those fly by the seat of your body part jokes kindof guys.

 
>