>

Friday, June 13, 2008

What's the real story here?


So, Father’s Day.

My kids have a great dad. Really. He works hard to provide for them. He tries hard to know them as individuals. He laughs with them, he cries with them, and sometimes for them. He plays with them and he is teaching them to be good people. Being a good father is the most important thing in the world to him. There really isn’t anything he wouldn’t do for them. I did a pretty good thing when I picked him.

My husband isn’t the only great father I know. My brothers are all great fathers and I know of at least 3 more on my street (I’m kidding, there are like 7). The point is I know a lot of really good dads.

So why is Father’s Day such a let down? It hardly gets any mention. A new tie here and there, maybe a BBQ, but maybe not, since that’s Dad’s job. (Does he want a day off or a good steak? What if we give him a “King of the Grill” apron?) All in all it’s pretty low key. I feel kind of bad, like he is getting slighted a little bit.

I mean come on, Mother’s Day is huge. There is so much pressure for the kids and the husband to get just the right gift, and present it with a newly penned poem along with breakfast in bed and a day free of stress. Of course it never quite turns out like that, but the pressure is still there, hanging over the entire family all day, like a gray cloud of doom and disappointment. Many a Mother’s Day has been ruined by expectations.

It’s not the only one, Valentines Day, Christmas, anniversaries, Arbor Day. You don’t ever hear Shane Co. commercials encouraging you to by dad a diamond pendant to commemorate the World Series.

But is it a let down? Or are father’s just so secure in their greatness that they don’t need a fancy day?

I got to thinking maybe it’s not that we are neglecting fathers, maybe mothers are getting a bad rap here. Are we perceived as so fragile, so emotionally unstable, so demanding, that without all of the hoopla we would breakdown? Do they think that if we don’t get another handprint memento we would walk off the job? Maybe we moms should be insulted that the entire world thinks we NEED to be patted on the back.

Well, I’m going to use reverse psychology this year. I am going to make the biggest fuss over Father’s Day you’ve ever seen. That’ll show him. I can wreck a day just as well as he can. Even better I bet.

No comments:

 
>