>

Friday, May 9, 2008

Thanks


In honor of Mothers Day I am recognizing fathers.

Yes, I know they have a day coming up soon; but it always seems to me, that all year long we hear about moms. How they work hard, they sacrifice, and at General Conference, year after year, the men are reminded to treasure their wives and treat their children well, and make no mistake, I am grateful for that. I know there are plenty of men who need to hear that message. But once in a while I’d like to hear about how without a great partner we moms would be toast.

So today I am saluting my husband and my brothers who are all great dads, and the many other fathers out there who deserve more than a card with a guy resting in a hammock that says-“Don’t worry Dad, today the dog will deliver your beer.” Or one of those “sentimental” cards with a hazy picture of a fishing basket on the front. Ick!

My husband is a great dad. When our children were babies he changed diapers, he gave baths, and best of all he never made me get up at night. Even when he had to be at work at 5 a.m. he would get up and bring the baby to me, I still had to feed them, but the idea of not actually leaving the bed made all the difference, truly, ALL of the difference.

My husband has built playhouses and tree houses and skateboard ramps. One year he spent days building an amazing kitchen for our daughter, and he let Santa have the credit, even when our daughter said “I bet you couldn’t even build a kitchen this good dad.” He has always tucked the kids in bed at night with a bedtime story so I could have a few minutes to decompress at the end of the day. He’s the best storyteller ever, changing every book to make it more interesting, or exciting or disgusting. Howls of laughter can be heard throughout the house when Dad is telling a story.

He takes our kids camping, alone, because I don’t like camping. He goes to AquaBats concerts, he cooks breakfast on the weekends, he takes our daughter shopping for Easter dresses, and he watches the Simpsons, pretending over and over again that he thinks it’s hilarious (he even has me fooled—he is pretending, right?).

My brothers are all amazing fathers and they’re also great uncles. Even without having the best example of a father they have become best examples of fathers themselves. I am so grateful for all of the positive male influences my children are surrounded by.

Being a mom is hard work, and don’t get me wrong, I like to be acknowledged for it, but without the love and support of my good husband I could not make it look so easy (just kidding, he is great, but I do NOT make it look easy!).

So, this Mothers Day, I say "Thanks honey, you've already given me the best gift of all, a partner."

No comments:

 
>