>

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Life is not whatnot…



..and it’s none of your business.

Last night at mutual (our once a week activity for the youth {12-18} at church) one of the girls asked me what my favorite movies are. Hmm, good question.

“Well, Sixteen Candles, of course, if we are talking all time favorites.”
Then I realized I shouldn’t be telling a 14 year old girl (who is like a naïve version of Molly Ringwald’s Samantha Baker (sammy baker davis jr.) any of my other favorite movies.

But I can tell you-Snatch, The Usual Suspects, Little Women(the Winona version), The Sound of Music(I guess I could’ve told her that one), Amelie……………

See, she can’t even watch Sixteen Candles, it’s rated R, which is a big deal for some adults I know, and absolutely for this girl and her parents. Then I got to thinking, I might not want my own 14 year old daughter to watch it (I mean if I had a 14 year old daughter).

Then I got to thinking some more {you can bet this is going no place good with all of the thinking involved}, I would hands down rather my kids watch Sixteen Candles than say Anchorman (or any other raunchfest that Will Ferrell is in).

What about Pretty in Pink? The Breakfast Club? Better Off Dead? Didn’t we all know those kids in high school? Weren’t we some of those kids? Oooh, ooh, Fast Times at Ridgemont High—I married that guy!!

I think we are having an 80’s movie marathon this weekend. I see a mix tape in my future.

I heart Jake Ryan.

4 comments:

blah blah blah said...

This past weekend my dad and grandma came into town and we played a game and we had her watch 16 Candles. She didn't stay up to watch the ending, maybe she didn't know anyone like that in high school.

And a few weeks ago we sent my brother and his girlfriend home to watch Better Off Dead, I am not sure they like it. And the Breakfast Club, Tyler's girlfriend hated that when I lent it to her. And everytime I hear Ellen Page down that movie I wanted to post about how she must not have very good taste.

But those 80's movies you listed, I don't care how old I get, I still love 'em.

Your tape is going to have Simple Minds on it right? You know that song was written for that movie?

If your kids hate those movies, please don't even tell me.

-june

wesley's mom said...

Simple Minds for sure! And OMD and The Smiths and New Order for certain, INXS, cause it's just not the 80's without them.

If my kids don't like the Breakfast Club I will be disapointed. I think #1 will like it for sure. I can see your Grandma not liking 80's movies, but there's just no excuse for anyone under 40 not finding them enjoyable.

They already like Better Off Dead, they quote it all the time.

blah blah blah said...

Jordan commented that she HATED sixteen candles that night, so we banned her from ever coming over again.

I totally agree about comedies that are out these days ('these days' makes me sound 90), but they're so stupid. At some point in the early to mid 90's people must have decided that they didn't want to think and watch a movie at the same time. I'm just saying.

-Ward

wesley's mom said...

How could ANYONE hate Sixteen Candles? That's just sad.

Kids now days.

 
>