>

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I guess it's not that bad around here

Have you ever had a day when the sorry state of other people’s lives made yours look so heavenly that you almost felt guilty?

I have said before that I know I have a pretty good life, and I am grateful for it, but sometimes I take it for granted. Sometimes I even whine. You know, ‘cause I don’t have time to read, or my kids didn’t finish their chores, or even that my mom is crazy.

Yesterday between phone calls and e-mails and just the overwhelming sense of peace I have because I am not Miley Cyrus (or her parents) I was assured that barring natural disaster I am always going to have a better life than some people.

Early in the day I received a phone call from a friend, who could best be described as unstable and worst be described as potentially dangerous, telling me about her weekend. The details included one crazy husband (because sometimes opposites DON'T attract), one pompous and naïve new son-in-law, five sad daughters, and two visits from the police. I can’t even imagine how many nervous, nosy, and amused neighbors this story contained.

It went something like argue, argue, scream, cry, then the whole family took a trip to crazytown. Blah, blah… what should I do? Oh, I can’t do that. Therapy doesn’t work for me….. Blah, blah…..I don’t want to take medication…..

It was not a fun call, I now know many details, about many people, that will make it very hard for me to make eye contact with them the next time I see them.

Then I got an e-mail from a friend who is also not exactly “in a good place”. This time the drama was not about her, but her sister who has been carted off to rehab because she’s a raging drunk. The unrehabbing sister with be caring for the drunk’s children while she’s away. Let’s just say, that might not have been the best choice since sister #1 sometimes doesn’t have the best grasp on reality.

I really am not crazy myself (I know you are laughing—or something-STOP IT!) I just seem to attract crazy. I bet it’s because I am so compassionate. Really, I don’t know what it is. I have a sister-in-law who hasn’t had crazy cross her path in years (unless you count family), I don’t know how she does it. It’s like a force field.

Anyway, I am glad that my problems don’t amount to much. I’ll take cranky kids and never ending laundry any day.

2 comments:

blah blah blah said...

Which one of your sisters-in-law avoid crazy? Because I know for a fact that one of them married a very tightly wound little firecracker, and the other has her own share of crazy in the family. I mean do you remember her pet rabbit story? My wife is constantly surrounded by crazy.

Anyway, it is nice to be able to get some perspective from the nutjobs around you. Life and whatnot isn't so bad when you stop to think about it.

-Ward

wesley's mom said...

I think Mitzy avoids it pretty well, I said, unless you count family.

How many times do I have to remind you-Life is not whatnot?

Ugh--the pet rabbit story--that's hard to top. Unless you tell the quick draw story, or the one about the geese in Granny's pool, or.....

 
>