>

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Shh!

I’m a knocker. I don’t like to ring the bell. This morning as I was waiting for a door to open, worried that my knock had not been noticed (because I’m not an aggressive knocker), I wondered, why don’t I just ring the stinking bell?

As a rule I don’t ring the bell, I don’t leave messages, I don’t comment on blogs and I don’t offer my opinions at parties. I hate being the center of attention. Surprise party? My worst nightmare. Don’t even get me started on public speaking.

But WHY?!?! I have opinions (LOTS and they’re good ones, interesting even), I call people, I go to their houses, I read their blogs. What is wrong with me that I don’t even want to be noticed when I am standing on your stoop of my own freewill?

If forced, I will do all of those things.

If you don’t answer the door after the 2nd or 3rd knock, ding dong.

If I really need to speak to you I will leave a message. If I’m just calling to chat, no message. To be honest, there are only a few people I call when I need to chat, if you don’t answer, I’m calling back in 10 minuets, ‘cause when I need to chat, I NEED to chat.

As for the commenting thing, I don’t want to be the least clever comment, and I never know if I should be anonymous or not and what if I make a grammatical error and the whole internet universe sees it. It’s WAY to stressful to comment.

Opinions at parties are tricky in my opinion (I slay me!). Because though I am quick to think others foolish, I do not wish to be seen as foolish (—or maybe BECAUSE I am so quick with the fool button). Truthfully though, if I know you well, we don’t have to agree on all things, I think it’s more interesting when we don’t. I really enjoy long conversations with groups of people who have different perspectives who respect one another.

Like I said don’t even get me started on public speaking,- though I think it’s pretty normal not to be in love with that one.

On the whole, I am content to be not seen or heard. I LIKE going unnoticed. Is that weird?

G’head, analyze away. I can take it.

2 comments:

blah blah blah said...

Gosh you're weird-I LOVE public speaking! And you don't need to be worried about being the cleverest commenter at our blog-you're the only commenter (is that spelt correctly?).

As for knocking I think it's better because you can always again and knock louder or harder but if you know someone is home and they don't answer after the first Ding Dong, don't you feel impolite to ring again like you are saying "i know you're home and you're avoiding me out here".

-June

blah blah blah said...

I don't know, I think it's kinda weird. I can picture you peeking in through a crack in the blinds.

"What? I knocked," you'll say.

But I don't know how long you've been out there, snooping around.

What a weirdo, just ring the bell already. Did you forget why you're there?

-Ward

 
>