>

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Just a quick word of advice

In an effort to build those honest deep rooted relationships I spoke of yesterday I have some loving words for you *young marrieds” .

Life experience counts.
When your matronly old visiting teachers come to share their monthly message, don’t be smug. Don’t make that little half smile thing that says "Maybe in your house old woman, but that will NEVER happen here.” Looking down on us for letting our lives get out of hand won’t get you anywhere.

I hate to break it to you, but in just a few SHORT years you will be us. Forty won’t seem so matronly to you then. Embrace us, we understand you because we too smirked at women who were older and wiser. I am embarrassed about it now, and you probably will be someday too (you should be anyway).

Countless teaching opportunities were lost because I thought I was smarter than everyone else.

That’s all, just lighten up, we want to support you. We have been there; we know it’s hard to be young and trying to get it all right. If you give us a chance maybe we can help. Your toddler won’t die if he eats some dirt at our houses, and you’re not a failure if you let us fold your laundry. We know what it’s like, and we know that the only clean room in your house yesterday was the one we were in, and when you said you WANTED to weed the lawn you were exaggerating- but probably just a little.

One more thing, a sense of humor is invaluable. Get one.

*Official Relief Society term used to describe young recently married women who are sweet but don’t know a dang thing yet. Really, it’s in the handbook. (not really)

2 comments:

Godinla said...

Great advice. I'm here because I was wondering who in this wide wonderful world (besides me) has read and enjoyed Geek Love. Well, here you are. On top of that, you like Fallen and Snatch. Good for you.

I read your blog and I really enjoyed it. I'll drop by often and get "advice." Please feel free to drop by mine too, if you're feeling stupid. By the way, my name is Brian.

Keep writing and I'll keep reading!

blah blah blah said...

I actually do feel like a failure when someone else folds my laundry. The thing is your mom is the only one who offers and I think she does think I am a failure. I haven't cooked in over a month and that there proves it.

-June

 
>