>

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mothering for dummies(that would be me)

This morning I was in my sons’ room (I wasn’t snooping) and I found a note from a girl (okay, maybe I was snooping a little). She wrote, (of course I read it, I’m a bad non-privacy respecting mother) anyway, she was talking about another friend of theirs whose family is being evicted from their “****** apartment” and her family was going to have to stay in a shelter and how upset she was. It was just a short note, but she expressed her feelings very well, and I was sad for both girls and my son, because he is a sensitive kid and I’m sure he was upset by it. He’s never said anything to us about it, but he does say that he has a lot on his mind, or there are things I don’t understand. Of course, because I am so wise, I assume he means that his brothers and sister bug him and he doesn’t have anything left in his i-tunes account. I think he’s a kid and I don’t take him seriously.

This morning it (finally) occurred to me that when I am hounding my kids about chores and homework and blah, blah, blah and they look at me like I don’t get it, maybe I don’t. Obviously I don’t. They are out there living the real world from 8am to 3pm everyday. Their friends have problems, big adult like problems. Problems that no kid should have to deal with, and when I am saying “if you don’t pass Geometry you’ll end up in community college” (not that there’s anything wrong with that), they must be thinking “You’ve got to be kidding me?!?” This girl is homeless and I am talking about making sure the towels are folded the “right” way.

I feel like such and idiot.

Words of wisdom anyone?

No comments:

 
>