>

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Guilt

My friend’s daughter has been staying with us this week. It’s making me cranky. Please understand, it’s not unusual for me to be cranky, it’s just not so often that I can absolutely pinpoint the cause of said crankiness. So I started thinking, why are some peoples’ children easier to like (love, even) than others?

This little girl should be painless, she’s potty trained, and dresses herself, she sleeps through the night, and more often than not plays well with my daughter. At first I thought that the problem was with me. Maybe I am some kind of kid hater. But I am SO not a kid hater, I love kids. Our house is usually full of them, and most of the time I am glad. Even so, every once in a while one comes along that really gets to me.

Is it the way I feel about the parents? Her folks are a little nutty, but who isn’t, right? I don’t think that’s it, plenty of our regulars have parents that I either don’t care for or don’t have an opinion about at all, and one tyke that really bugs me has a mom that I adore.

I don’t think it’s necessarily her habits; whining, not speaking when spoken to, and teaching my daughter dance moves that include pelvic thrusts, though I really could do with out the thrusting. So what is it?

I know that when she leaves I will feel guilty, not because I have been mean to her, I haven’t. I will feel guilty because I will be relieved she is gone. Am I the only one who feels this way?

No comments:

 
>